Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chairs Shuffling
Hate to break up the bashing party on UCSD, but what's up with UCSF? Rumor had it last year, Berger was retiring? Was that just nonsense?
Chairs never retire fast enough for those waiting in the wings.....prob 3-5 years out.
Any truth to rumor Murazco is being pushed out at u of m?
Doubt that...
(05-05-2017, 11:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Chen is a loss; but so was Lawton when he left UCSF, and Berger when he left UW and on and on.  If a place can produce a Chair, then it can recruit another Chair aspirant.

This UCSD insider only does disservice to his program. You are trying to continue the cycle of lies you have been told when you joined UCSD that it is "up and running" program. Chen was the only hope UCSD had to move it to an above average program. Second, you compare Chen to Lawton and Berger? What an idiot. Many agree that Lawton is the only gifted open vascular guy left in the community and has the most sought after open vascular fellowship. Not to mention that UCSF and UW had plenty of top guys and leaders at that time and neither of them was the chair or the lone vice chair (UCSF has at least 3-4 vice chairs). UCSD has only Carter and Chen and they are leaving. You are completely off my friend.
(05-05-2017, 11:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Any truth to rumor Murazco is being pushed out at u of m?

I specifically asked this question on my second look there. Residents said that the selection committee renewed her chair position for another 5 years. This made me ranking Michigan down the list. IMHO, she has to go. She felt asleep during my interview and repeatedly fell asleep in the OR on my second look. I know one day is not enough to make a firm decision so asked some friends in the trail who did a sub-i and interviewed there and they confimed the same issue. I liked Thompson but he will never be the chair because of age and personality. You will get it that he is different and his personality is different from chairs's. Sadly, Michigan is mainly based on Muraszko and Thompson, but they won't stay long or at least not at the same capacity they have had over the last 10-15 years.
I'm not buying what this thread is generally selling. I read about dedicated academics being 'frauds', 'phonies', and 'tools' or that an entire program revolves around 1 or 2 people and that the 'sky is falling' if there are faculty changes. Some of the non-vitriolic first hand accounts are interesting but the drive-by character assassination of individuals or programs is pretty sad.
(05-06-2017, 12:36 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 11:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Any truth to rumor Murazco is being pushed out at u of m?

I specifically asked this question on my second look there. Residents said that the selection committee renewed her chair position for another 5 years. This made me ranking Michigan down the list. IMHO, she has to go. She felt asleep during my interview and repeatedly fell asleep in the OR on my second look. I know one day is not enough to make a firm decision so asked some friends in the trail who did a sub-i and interviewed there and they confimed the same issue. I liked Thompson but he will never be the chair because of age and personality. You will get it that he is different and his personality is different from chairs's. Sadly, Michigan is mainly based on Muraszko and Thompson, but they won't stay long or at least not at the same capacity they have had over the last 10-15 years.

I'm not that familiar with Thompson. If it's his personality, then it can be one of two things: he's too friendly or not friendly enough? 

Agree by far on murazko-- I heard from others from the last few years of classes the same reports
A word of wisdom-- over a 7 year residency, faculty changes will be the norm, not the exception. Find a place with a location, culture, and resident group that you like. Those things will not change (or will change only very slowly). Pretty much any program that gets a lot of discussion on this board is pretty solid and residency is what you make of it.

I think it's interesting that people are crapping on UCSF, UCSD, Michigan, Yale, Brigham, and MGH ALL in the same thread. This should be taken as a sign that everything should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
Lol; this discussion group is about these three groups arguing, all seeking a little self-justification....

https://goo.gl/images/XwvHgF

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)