Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Media
I’ve noticed more and more neurosurgery residents and attendings have a strong presence on social media. My guess is patients will correlate online fame with competence. I think it’ll eventually put pressure on others to put themselves on the Twitter platter. Do you think social media is becoming our new referral network?
(10-23-2019, 12:22 PM)Guest Wrote: I’ve noticed more and more neurosurgery residents and attendings have a strong presence on social media. My guess is patients will correlate online fame with competence. I think it’ll eventually put pressure on others to put themselves on the Twitter platter. Do you think social media is becoming our new referral network?

It has nothing to do with patients finding surgeons, they'll still go with the referrals of their neurologist/pcp. They'll still look to the local big name institution for second opinions. 

In my opinion it's more a way to promote yourself and your program within the field. You notice a lot of them are tweeting about their research, presentations at meetings, their grand rounds visiting professors.
(10-23-2019, 01:56 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 12:22 PM)Guest Wrote: I’ve noticed more and more neurosurgery residents and attendings have a strong presence on social media. My guess is patients will correlate online fame with competence. I think it’ll eventually put pressure on others to put themselves on the Twitter platter. Do you think social media is becoming our new referral network?

It has nothing to do with patients finding surgeons, they'll still go with the referrals of their neurologist/pcp. They'll still look to the local big name institution for second opinions. 

In my opinion it's more a way to promote yourself and your program within the field. You notice a lot of them are tweeting about their research, presentations at meetings, their grand rounds visiting professors.

I think it has more to do with Napoleonic neurosurgeons saying how important they are in the echo chamber than it has to do with promoting anything altruistic or beneficial to their department.
(10-23-2019, 05:44 PM)Guest Wrote:

I think it has more to do with Napoleonic neurosurgeons saying how important they are in the echo chamber than it has to do with promoting anything altruistic or beneficial to their department.

That's what self promotion is.
(10-23-2019, 07:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 05:44 PM)Guest Wrote:

That's what self promotion is.

And empty self promotion is what med students/neurosurgeons posting on social media is about.
y'all need to settle down there's nothing wrong about posting on twitter. If what people put on there stresses you out then just don't follow that person.
(10-24-2019, 08:04 PM)Guest Wrote: y'all need to settle down there's nothing wrong about posting on twitter. If what people put on there stresses you out then just don't follow that person.

much easier said than done.  I follow the CNS on Twitter, and last week was an avalanche of self-promoting assholes all over my feed.  There are neurosurgeons on twitter that post quality content in the form of interesting cases, their thoughts on literature, etc. The rest drum up attention by taking pictures of some goddamn purple socks.  seriously, what the fuck
(10-24-2019, 11:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 08:04 PM)Guest Wrote: y'all need to settle down there's nothing wrong about posting on twitter. If what people put on there stresses you out then just don't follow that person.

much easier said than done.  I follow the CNS on Twitter, and last week was an avalanche of self-promoting assholes all over my feed.  There are neurosurgeons on twitter that post quality content in the form of interesting cases, their thoughts on literature, etc. The rest drum up attention by taking pictures of some goddamn purple socks.  seriously, what the fuck

lololol i know exactly which neurosurgeon and their socks youre referrring to

CNS off Twitter is all a bunch of self promotion too though. That's literally almost the entire point of the conference, to promote the work you do and any books or products you have. And to have social get togethers where people laugh about stupid things like socks.

If those twitter accounts upset you that much you can actually just mute them, it would be very easy there's not that many of them. You're probably better off doing that than hate watching and complaining anonymously about socks online.
(10-25-2019, 12:48 PM)Guest Wrote:

CNS off Twitter is all a bunch of self promotion too though. That's literally almost the entire point of the conference, to promote the work you do and any books or products you have. And to have social get togethers where people laugh about stupid things like socks.

If those twitter accounts upset you that much you can actually just mute them, it would be very easy there's not that many of them. You're probably better off doing that than hate watching and complaining anonymously about socks online.

SAD

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)