Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
# of pubs
(12-27-2019, 02:23 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 11:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey everyone, MS2 here looking for some insight. I know that the average pubs cited on NRMP is around 18 for matched neurosurgery but that includes pubs along with posters and abstracts. Wondering how many actual publications I should be aiming for to have a good chance to match at highly academic programs like Columbia, MGH, Stanford, UCSF, etc. I understand the more the better but with the various projects I am taking on now I’m projecting about 8-9 papers before matching, a mix of some basic science and some clinical. Should I be aiming higher and putting more effort into picking up more clinical projects? I attend a highly ranked med school if that’s relevant. Thanks

18, come on... No way.  I wouldn't trust any source like that.  A quality PhD is maybe 2-3 tops, quality publications.  If you can hit 8-9 first author in neurosurgery journals, you'll be well above the curve!

Do Doris Duke or HHMI fellowship with a productive lab and get a quality first author basic science paper and you’ll do great on the trail
(12-27-2019, 02:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 02:23 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 11:07 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey everyone, MS2 here looking for some insight. I know that the average pubs cited on NRMP is around 18 for matched neurosurgery but that includes pubs along with posters and abstracts. Wondering how many actual publications I should be aiming for to have a good chance to match at highly academic programs like Columbia, MGH, Stanford, UCSF, etc. I understand the more the better but with the various projects I am taking on now I’m projecting about 8-9 papers before matching, a mix of some basic science and some clinical. Should I be aiming higher and putting more effort into picking up more clinical projects? I attend a highly ranked med school if that’s relevant. Thanks

18, come on... No way.  I wouldn't trust any source like that.  A quality PhD is maybe 2-3 tops, quality publications.  If you can hit 8-9 first author in neurosurgery journals, you'll be well above the curve!

Do Doris Duke or HHMI fellowship with a productive lab and get a quality first author basic science paper and you’ll do great on the trail

Looks like HHMI and Doris Duke are discontinued... are there any fellowship opportunities for research years besides the NIH one where you have to work at the Bethesda campus?
does research have to be neurosrurgery related?? my school doesn't have a neurosurgery department...
(07-21-2020, 02:30 AM)Guest Wrote: does research have to be neurosrurgery related?? my school doesn't have a neurosurgery department...

No, not necessarily. But it helps. Depends on your other stats, it wouldn't hurt to take a research summer or even a research year in a neurosurgery lab
What is the value of a letter to the editor? Any insight?
(07-22-2020, 01:30 PM)Guest Wrote: What is the value of a letter to the editor? Any insight?

Had the same question. My school doesn't have a neurosurgery department. 

I got 6 first author letters to the editor. 
How long are your letters to the editor? Are they just commentary on another paper or original research/review?
(07-23-2020, 09:28 PM)Guest Wrote: How long are your letters to the editor? Are they just commentary on another paper or original research/review?

All of them are commentary......

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)