Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.31 Average
BU/BMC Pre-Residency Fellowship Positions
What is a reason a fellow wouldn't get picked up for residency?

If they are doing the same job as a resident and some even get asked to come back a 2nd year, to me it seems like they are good enough.
(05-14-2021, 06:32 AM)Guest Wrote: Again you are missing the point.  Someone with poor boards and few papers will not match as an FMG, period.  Someone with good boards and a lot of papers is not a shoo in as an FMG either.  Value of fellowship is to get a LOR from known neurosurgeons.  LOR important in selection process.  People have gotten matched into programs after having done these fellowships.  Look at roster of Iowa, for example.  Please stop speaking from a position of ignorance with inflammatory language. I have participated in selection process for 20+ years.

No one is disagreeing that FMGs with good boards/research need an avenue to interact with US neurosurgeons for experience and LORs. What we're saying is that these positions are NOT the way to do so. It's not ok for certain NYC programs to hire multiple FMGs, pay them bottom dollar, then unload their junior resident call on them, leading to them working >100 hours a week with no protection or work hour restrictions. 

These programs are profiting off of these applicants' desperation.
The above poster nailed it. Yeah, it’s tough for FMGs to match, but a single LOR resulting from 2 years of slave labor is is a pathetic joke, and is profiteering from desperate applicants. It’s amoral, plain and simple. And I promise you some LOR from the attendings at this program is not gonna make the difference ? for these applicants. . No one really cares THAT much what they think
(05-14-2021, 06:32 AM)Guest Wrote: Again you are missing the point.  Someone with poor boards and few papers will not match as an FMG, period.  Someone with good boards and a lot of papers is not a shoo in as an FMG either.  Value of fellowship is to get a LOR from known neurosurgeons.  LOR important in selection process.  People have gotten matched into programs after having done these fellowships.  Look at roster of Iowa, for example.  Please stop speaking from a position of ignorance with inflammatory language. I have participated in selection process for 20+ years.

This person is obviously either the program coordinator or director hitting absolute rock bottom in a desperate attempt to make their program seem like anything other than preying on human beings
Which programs have pre-residency fellowships?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)