Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.31 Average
BU/BMC Pre-Residency Fellowship Positions
I think that the truth is somewhere in between. Getting into a US neurosurgery position if you have bad scores or are an IMG is very difficult. These positions are to do the same role as a junior resident with no guarantees of ever advancing.
However, some people who do these types of positions make it eventually. There is no guarantee of making it into residency through the lab route either.
(04-29-2021, 05:06 PM)Guest Wrote: I think that the truth is somewhere in between.  Getting into a US neurosurgery position if you have bad scores or are an IMG is very difficult.  These positions are to do the same role as a junior resident with no guarantees of ever advancing.
However, some people who do these types of positions make it eventually.  There is no guarantee of making it into residency through the lab route either.

whats a bad score for a US MD graduate and for a IMG graduate
(04-29-2021, 05:06 PM)Guest Wrote: I think that the truth is somewhere in between.  Getting into a US neurosurgery position if you have bad scores or are an IMG is very difficult.  These positions are to do the same role as a junior resident with no guarantees of ever advancing.
However, some people who do these types of positions make it eventually.  There is no guarantee of making it into residency through the lab route either.

Quick question. If you do 2 years of this program, can you get licensed to practice in the US? I have read that you need 2 years of training to get like a family medicine rights or something. Does anyone have more info on this? If that is the case, this program is certainly worth it, because at least you can do FM or something.
Licensing depends on the state. Each state has subtly different requirements
(04-30-2021, 04:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

Quick question. If you do 2 years of this program, can you get licensed to practice in the US? I have read that you need 2 years of training to get like a family medicine rights or something. Does anyone have more info on this? If that is the case, this program is certainly worth it, because at least you can do FM or something.

So far as I know, this isn't "training."  There is no credit for it for ACGME, nor state boards.  It is a position to work as a house-officer, e.g. resident, minus the credit.
(04-30-2021, 06:29 PM)admin Wrote:

So far as I know, this isn't "training."  There is no credit for it for ACGME, nor state boards.  It is a position to work as a house-officer, e.g. resident, minus the credit.

Wow that is truly awful then. These are parasites!
(04-30-2021, 08:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 06:29 PM)admin Wrote:

Wow that is truly awful then. These are parasites!

Yeah I think it’s pretty clear that a legitimate postdoc position with a well-respected lab is a safer move for your professional career. At least in that position you can much more easily lateral to non-clinical faculty as an academic if the match doesn’t work out. This one provides no pathway.
Yes, it’s a despicable practice
How does one who left residency as a PGY-4 get back in? Would this be a good route. It's a lot of personal and financial hardship.
(05-03-2021, 05:08 PM)Guest Wrote: How does one who left residency as a PGY-4 get back in?  Would this be a good route.  It's a lot of personal and financial hardship.
If the individual left for performance issues, it’s almost impossible to get back into an organized neurosurgical residency program. It’s simply a red flag to have left residency if it was related to a performance issue.  Program directors and faculty would be concerned that the same issue could resurface.  If it was for a family issue or another type of issue which required a leave of absence it’s conceivable to re-enter but this pre-residency and fellowship with generally not provide any value in the reapplication.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)