Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.31 Average
BU/BMC Pre-Residency Fellowship Positions
Professionalism issues were cited. Not performance. It really is just an excuse to get someone out of a program that doesn't fit. It doesn't make sense for someone to spend 20+ year of life, go through college, masters, med schools and then suddenly be "unprofessional". Usually professionalism, norms, and personality is set by that time. I can cite multiple people in my program with worse "professionalism" issues, but since they were liked they were kept in.
Lol can’t believe this guy is still around. Mr. “I was kicked out for professionalism issues but there were people way worse than me” still thinking he was ousted because people didn’t like him.
If only you could be in the persons shoes and see what they have gone through. If you don't know a situation then you should keep to yourself instead of ridiculing someone.
Value of doing a preresidency fellowship is to work hard and get fresh letters of recommendation from known US neurosurgeons. More valuable for people who failed to match or are FMGs to gain clinical credebility for a future match. To call such programs parasites is missing the point. You are in an extremely poor position to match as a graduate who is not in a program or as an FMG who isn't a superstar with tremendous boards and research experience.
(05-12-2021, 06:01 AM)Guest Wrote: Value of doing a preresidency fellowship is to work hard and get fresh letters of recommendation from known US neurosurgeons.  More valuable for people who failed to match or are FMGs to gain clinical credebility for a future match.  To call such programs parasites is missing the point.  You are in an extremely poor position to match as a graduate who is not in a program or as an FMG who isn't a superstar with tremendous boards and research experience.

Anyone telling an FMG without good boards scores or research experience that a pre-residency fellowship is going to get them a residency spot is just being unfair. There are dozens of FMGs with amazing scores and hundred of papers toiling away in labs across the country, awaiting their chance at a match...and many still don't (unfortunately).
(05-12-2021, 12:49 AM)Guest Wrote: If only you could be in the persons shoes and see what they have gone through.  If you don't know a situation then you should keep to yourself instead of ridiculing someone.

I hope and pray that you will find a solution. This is a bad place. Check out SDN for advice as well. I can feel your pain, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
(05-12-2021, 02:31 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 06:01 AM)Guest Wrote: Value of doing a preresidency fellowship is to work hard and get fresh letters of recommendation from known US neurosurgeons.  More valuable for people who failed to match or are FMGs to gain clinical credebility for a future match.  To call such programs parasites is missing the point.  You are in an extremely poor position to match as a graduate who is not in a program or as an FMG who isn't a superstar with tremendous boards and research experience.

Anyone telling an FMG without good boards scores or research experience that a pre-residency fellowship is going to get them a residency spot is just being unfair. There are dozens of FMGs with amazing scores and hundred of papers toiling away in labs across the country, awaiting their chance at a match...and many still don't (unfortunately).

You are missing the point.  Doing a preresidency fellowship will not give a noncompetitive applicant a huge shot at matching.  Not having letters from US neurosurgeons will prevent non-superstar FMGs from matching.  Having this experience and these letters gives solid applicants a shot.  LORs are very important in the selection process.  As are boards, publications, and the name of your medical school.

(05-12-2021, 02:31 PM)Guest Wrote:

Agree this fellowship is good for a foreigner. An Indian would probably earn more from this fellowship than he would earn back in India. And of course, he can always return to India with somewhat improved skills and research experience.
No, these poor applicants will just get used for scut for two years, with nothing to show for it at the end. These positions are pure slave labor
Again you are missing the point. Someone with poor boards and few papers will not match as an FMG, period. Someone with good boards and a lot of papers is not a shoo in as an FMG either. Value of fellowship is to get a LOR from known neurosurgeons. LOR important in selection process. People have gotten matched into programs after having done these fellowships. Look at roster of Iowa, for example. Please stop speaking from a position of ignorance with inflammatory language. I have participated in selection process for 20+ years.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)