Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 2 Timing
How important is it to have Step 2 CK/CS complete prior to ERAS submission in September?

I scored a 250 on Step 1. I took time off for research after Step 1, and will be applying in the upcoming cycle. I would strongly prefer not to take additional time off studying now, so I can focus on my home sub-I and two aways in the summer.
In my experience on the trail, the majority had not completed CK or CS before ERAS submission. I think delaying CK until the winter makes sense for ppl satisfied with their Step 1 score. No program I interviewed at required CK or has asked for it since, and I'm sure some of them have already formulated their rank lists. For your own sanity though, it might be worth knocking out CS because waiting several months for the result can add stress to the whole process. Despite the high pass rate, it's impossible not to worry about an inexplicable failure blowing up your match, bank account, and life. Just my thoughts
(01-20-2020, 05:44 PM)Guest Wrote: In my experience on the trail, the majority had not completed CK or CS before ERAS submission. I think delaying CK until the winter makes sense for ppl satisfied with their Step 1 score. No program I interviewed at required CK or has asked for it since, and I'm sure some of them have already formulated their rank lists. For your own sanity though, it might be worth knocking out CS because waiting several months for the result can add stress to the whole process. Despite the high pass rate, it's impossible not to worry about an inexplicable failure blowing up your match, bank account, and life. Just my thoughts

Thank you so much for the heads up. I'll schedule CS ASAP. 

So a target date of Oct or Nov would be best to avoid interview conflicts? Or should I do it after interviews even?

* Target date for CK I mean
I found it hard to find time and motivation to study for CK while on the trail. I don't really see the harm in waiting until late December or even early January to take CK. I've met some really top notch applicants this year who are taking this strategy. But I think you'll hear a diversity of opinions about this, and to a certain extent it depends on how much truly dedicated time you want (if any), what your goal score is, and how lenient your school is about 4th year scheduling. I think studying over the holidays when there is a break in the interview season is a reasonable way to fit in CK. I'll just reiterate one more time that you'll feel much better having your CS passing score in the bag before all this chaos, because it really is the last thing you want to be worried about.
I had a good step 1 score and chose to take CK early for a couple reasons. I took it midway through my last clerkship. I felt like this would help me score higher due to shelf exams being more recent/fresh. Also, I had been using uworld throughout m3 year to study for shelf exams so my 1 year subscription ended in July. I didn't want to have to buy it again for dedicated CK studying because the short duration prices are fairly expensive. It worked out for me and I did significantly better than I did on step 1. However, I do recognize there is a risk of doing worse and hurting the application. I agree with taking CS early as well. I took it in the two week break I had between my last sub I and the beginning of interview season. Late September / early October is a good time to get it over with and be done with med school exams forever.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)