Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repeat 1st year
so i am going to have to repeat my first year in august, because i failed my class in the fall of 2019. i am no longer at school. and i was wondering, how to make amends so i may still get a chance for neurosurgery? and what do you recommend me to do from now until classes begin in august?
(01-30-2020, 01:09 AM)Guest Wrote: so i am going to have to repeat my first year in august, because i failed my class in the fall of 2019. i am no longer at school. and i was wondering, how to make amends so i may still get a chance for neurosurgery? and what do you recommend me to do from now until classes begin in august?

Unless you have an incredible reason why you failed, or absolutely crush every other aspect of medical school, including AOA, honoring rotations, research etc, this is a massive red flag IMO
(01-30-2020, 01:09 AM)Guest Wrote: so i am going to have to repeat my first year in august, because i failed my class in the fall of 2019. i am no longer at school. and i was wondering, how to make amends so i may still get a chance for neurosurgery? and what do you recommend me to do from now until classes begin in august?

Not everyone is meant to be a neurosurgeon.  Set your goals on not failing again, and be realistic:  EM, IM, FM, or Psych
yup yall are very encouraging!
(01-30-2020, 09:56 AM)Guest Wrote: yup yall are very encouraging!

This isn't peds.  If you need care bears and cheer leading, you are in the wrong field
People have had every sort of issue and still ended up in neurosurgery. Not trying to sugar coat it. People have failed Step 1, Step 2, classes, had Cs in their transcripts, the whole gamut. Reviewing applications has been so eye opening to the falsehoods that are perpetuated on this site. Getting into any specialty after failing a year is gonna be hard. You have to figure out what happened and what went wrong and make sure that shit never happens again. However if Neurosurgery is what you’re set on, I’d talk to someone in the department at your program.

Is it an uphill battle? Yes. Will you have the odds against you to start? Yes. Will you match at Barrow, MGH, or Hopkins? Well if you’re an athlete you could go to Barrow based on their recommendations for people who had abysmal Step 1 scores this year (“score doesn’t reflect intelligence”) but a top place is gonna be hard to swing. It’s early on in your medical school career, and since only about 1% of people end up actually going into neurosurgery you may yet change your mind. But I would talk to the people around you at your home department And see what they say. Neurosurgery isn’t all sunshine and rainbows, but it also isnt a specialty exclusively for the top 1% of medical students by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn’t actually been through the process.
To the poster,

from a senior neurosurgery resident at a top-tier program.

If there's one thing I've learned about neurosurgery and medicine in general, there's quite a few sociopaths and people who enjoy feeding off the failure of others.  In my opinion, those people have no business being neurosurgeons, much less physicians. 

If you want to be a neurosurgeon and are willing to correct the wrongs and right the ship, you'll find a way to make it work.  I certainly did.  I would not recommend getting any career or life advice from this site.  Trolls are abundant and they're hungry.

Find some mentors, study your butt off, ace STEP 1, do research and get published, attend some conferences.  Try to enjoy it.  And always remember, if you don't enjoy it, that's probably a bigger problem than any class failure.  Make sure you love what you do.
(01-30-2020, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote: To the poster,

from a senior neurosurgery resident at a top-tier program.

If there's one thing I've learned about neurosurgery and medicine in general, there's quite a few sociopaths and people who enjoy feeding off the failure of others.  In my opinion, those people have no business being neurosurgeons, much less physicians. 

If you want to be a neurosurgeon and are willing to correct the wrongs and right the ship, you'll find a way to make it work.  I certainly did.  I would not recommend getting any career or life advice from this site.  Trolls are abundant and they're hungry.

Find some mentors, study your butt off, ace STEP 1, do research and get published, attend some conferences.  Try to enjoy it.  And always remember, if you don't enjoy it, that's probably a bigger problem than any class failure.  Make sure you love what you do.

Hey I’m the guy who posted before you. I’m glad to see other people giving reasonable advice on this not so reasonable forum. Hope we get a chance to work together at some point!
I'd be happy to. I am frequently shaking my head on this site as I read the expert opinions of 4th year medical students on why someone is not qualified for this field.

Hopefully, residency is humbling.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)