Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vascular ties in Neurosurgery
I observed a resection of Primary Brachial Plexus Tumor via a Supraclavicular Approach and notices the physician used vascular ties to retract and position vessels - specifically the brachial plexus  C7 nerve root at the middle trunk of the brachial plexus.

The physician then used a hemostat to clamp the distal ends of the vascular ties to the surgical drapes. Is this standard? What other approaches do Neurosurgeons use to manage vascular ties? That seems a bit like an "OR hack".

Thoughts
wtf is this
This is just bizarre lol. You mean vessel loops, and they use those for nerves all the time.
(02-09-2020, 10:58 PM)Guest Wrote: wtf is this

Vascular ties are similar to Vessel loops

(02-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Guest Wrote: This is just bizarre lol. You mean vessel loops, and they use those for nerves all the time.

Do they use a hemostat or another instrument to tension the vessel loops?
I too have noticed something similar. Surgeons use special appliers to put clips on the scalp during opening. Keeps the scalp from bleeding. I think this is a neat hack as well!
(02-10-2020, 01:37 PM)Guest Wrote: I too have noticed something similar. Surgeons use special appliers to put clips on the scalp during opening. Keeps the scalp from bleeding. I think this is a neat hack as well!

Using Raney clips is not a hack.
I saw this neat little hack once: ceiling mounted 3 tesla MRI scanner. Didn’t really make a difference in the case and cost a ton of money, but it sure was creative!!
(02-10-2020, 10:15 PM)Guest Wrote: I saw this neat little hack once: ceiling mounted 3 tesla MRI scanner. Didn’t really make a difference in the case and cost a ton of money, but it sure was creative!!

Wow  - You would think they have all the tools they need to perform surgery, especially if the patient or insurance is paying $10,000's on the procedure!
(02-10-2020, 06:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 01:37 PM)Guest Wrote: I too have noticed something similar. Surgeons use special appliers to put clips on the scalp during opening. Keeps the scalp from bleeding. I think this is a neat hack as well!

Using Raney clips is not a hack.

Tough crowd here.
Yes it is common you can use vessel loops and ti or clamp them to the drapes, to the mayo, to stockingette depending on preference, magnitude of traction, and length of traction.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)