Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BU preresidency
Anyone know anything about preresidency program at Boston University ?
How good is the training there ? would it help you get into residency ?
I heard they have good track of fellows who matched into neurosurgery.
(04-01-2017, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone know anything about preresidency program at Boston University ?

They have a residency now (combined with BIDMC).  The remaining fellows are just place holders until the program fills.
(04-01-2017, 06:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Anyone know anything about preresidency program at Boston University ?

They have a residency now (combined with BIDMC).  The remaining fellows are just place holders until the program fills.

How do you know that? Are you part of the pre-residency?

This topic has been discussed multiple times. You can go back and look for that lengthy topic. 

It is a crappy place! Total shit hole! None of their fellows ever matched into neurosurgery! They spend an average of 4 years, and the ones that left either got an outside the match spots as PGY2 because of prelims they had before, or matched into different specialties. 
Very malignant towards their own fellows, and they didn't interview any of the fellows in the last match cycle! The chief fellow has been there for 7 years! 
There is no way the chairman would lift the phone to help you get anywhere, but might do the opposite and hurt you if finds out you got a spot outside the match, so you stay to do the labor work. Very bad leadership.

(04-01-2017, 07:50 PM)Not Wrote:

This topic has been discussed multiple times. You can go back and look for that lengthy topic. 

It is a crappy place! Total shit hole! None of their fellows ever matched into neurosurgery! They spend an average of 4 years, and the ones that left either got an outside the match spots as PGY2 because of prelims they had before, or matched into different specialties. 
Very malignant towards their own fellows, and they didn't interview any of the fellows in the last match cycle! The chief fellow has been there for 7 years! 
There is no way the chairman would lift the phone to help you get anywhere, but might do the opposite and hurt you if finds out you got a spot outside the match, so you stay to do the labor work. Very bad leadership.

Heard same things. 
How about UNM ?
(04-01-2017, 07:50 PM)Not Wrote: [quote pid='1070' dateline='1491083749']
Heard same things. 
How about UNM ?

[/quote]

UNM keeps the fellows around to fill out the call schedule.  Also, to bring on to the program when a resident inevitably gets fired.  Most likely scenario, you do fellowship for 1-4 years, don't get a spot, or do and then get fired after a couple of years of residency.
(04-01-2017, 08:23 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 07:50 PM)Not Wrote: [quote pid='1070' dateline='1491083749']
Heard same things. 
How about UNM ?

UNM keeps the fellows around to fill out the call schedule.  Also, to bring on to the program when a resident inevitably gets fired.  Most likely scenario, you do fellowship for 1-4 years, don't get a spot, or do and then get fired after a couple of years of residency.
[/quote]

Thank you. Any suggested preresidency program ?
Quote:This topic has been discussed multiple times. You can go back and look for that lengthy topic. 

Chairman and chief fellow have bad reputation. 
But I remember the first fellow had matched into neurosurgery, after 6 years in the program.
(04-01-2017, 09:50 PM)Fellows Wrote:
Quote:This topic has been discussed multiple times. You can go back and look for that lengthy topic. 

But I remember the first fellow had matched into neurosurgery, after 6 years in the program.

Who's the chief fellow?
(04-01-2017, 09:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 09:50 PM)Fellows Wrote:

Who's the chief fellow?

Don't recall the name, but she has been there for 7 years!
I suspect the person with the "crappy place!" report, didn't match?  ex-fellow at BU?
According to the interviews and the track record of the program from past fellows: 6 of them are in NSGY residency, 2 in Anesthesia residency.

Not bad

Pre-residencies are not for people that will invest few months. On average it takes 2-4 years to find a spot.

If anyone in this thread thinks that he is going to spend 1 year at Northwestern, Miami, BU or anywhere else possibly he doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Pre-residencies might hurt you or might make you. If you are good, people can tell and help, if not things go south.

There is not such a thing that "Oh I got the pre-residency, now I am going to match next year".

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)