Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BU preresidency
(04-02-2017, 02:08 PM)Guest Wrote: I suspect the person with the "crappy place!" report, didn't match?  ex-fellow at BU?
According to the interviews and the track record of the program from past fellows: 6 of them are in NSGY residency, 2 in Anesthesia residency.

Not bad

Pre-residencies are not for people that will invest few months. On average it takes 2-4 years to find a spot.

If anyone in this thread thinks that he is going to spend 1 year at Northwestern, Miami, BU or anywhere else possibly he doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Pre-residencies might hurt you or might make you. If you are good, people can tell and help, if not things go south.

There is not such a thing that "Oh I got the pre-residency, now I am going to match next year".

And this is clearly the delusional chief fellow defending her program.
Not really, I happen to know the program as an external rotator in the past.

And by the way I am not sure you know what you are talking about if you refer to "shit-holes" for programs that have a residency.

Northwestern, BU, Miami and UNM all of them have residencies

I am just trying to help people decide about pre-residencies and I don't care if this Northwestern, BU, Miami, UNM.

Most of the candidates are confused about what is expected and what benefits they have and what they have to deliver.
My advice to everyone out there is be honest with yourself and your future employer.
Pre-residencies are not residencies so nothing is guaranteed and there is always a risk for not matching.
Discuss clearly with any program director/chairman/pre-residency coordinator what is expected from you.
Hours of duty, hospital coverage etc/duties

Bottom line:
Most pre-residencies in NSGY help you get a position, with gaining experience, know how to take call or scrub, read scans, place EVDs and become responsible. They usually have ties to the residencies which could help.
Prelim Surg positions are a trap for FMGs because they create VISA issues. They are good for AMGs.
Research only might help or not

This thread is actually for helping people about pre-residencies not for ex-preresidents to exert their frustration.
(04-02-2017, 03:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Not really, I happen to know the program as an external rotator in the past.

And by the way I am not sure you know what you are talking about if you refer to "shit-holes" for  programs that have a residency.

Northwestern, BU, Miami and UNM all of them have residencies

I am just trying to help people decide about pre-residencies and I don't care if this Northwestern, BU, Miami, UNM.

Most of the candidates are confused about what is expected and what benefits they have and what they have to deliver.
My advice to everyone out there is be honest with yourself and your future employer.
Pre-residencies are not residencies so nothing is guaranteed and there is always a risk for not matching.
Discuss clearly with any program director/chairman/pre-residency coordinator what is expected from you.
Hours of duty, hospital coverage etc/duties

Bottom line:
Most pre-residencies in NSGY help you get a position, with gaining experience, know how to take call or scrub, read scans, place EVDs and become responsible. They usually have ties to the residencies which could help.
Prelim Surg positions are a trap for FMGs because they create VISA issues. They are good for AMGs.
Research only might help or not

This thread is actually for helping people about pre-residencies not for ex-preresidents to exert their frustration.

If you can't do consults and evds by the end of your subs, you are a retard.  Pre residency is a dead end, no matter how you slice it.
Both attendings and pre-residents hate the place and trying to get out! Very malignant chair. Whoever say otherwise either haven't been there or is lying to himself.
(04-02-2017, 04:57 PM)BUMC Wrote: Both attendings and pre-residents hate the place and trying to get out! Very malignant chair. Whoever say otherwise either haven't been there or is lying to himself.

From your poor language usage, you're likely one of the fmgs that gets stuck here. I feel bad for you, but at some point you have to own up to your own complacency in being used like this.
(04-02-2017, 08:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 04:57 PM)BUMC Wrote: Both attendings and pre-residents hate the place and trying to get out! Very malignant chair. Whoever say otherwise either haven't been there or is lying to himself.

From your poor language usage, you're likely one of the fmgs that gets stuck here. I feel bad for you, but at some point you have to own up to your own complacency in being used like this.

Having people stuck there doesn't help your argument

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)