Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coronavirus and aways
I think the insinuation was that programs have a good memory for how ppl presented themselves as residency applicants, not about where they did away rotations
I believe the 3rd letter can be any surgical specialty outside neurosurgery. Not just gen surg, although that may be the easiest to get from our 3rd year rotations. Other specialties such as CT surg should also suffice if my understanding is correct
They are putting out guidelines again soon but as of now it states either the gen Surg clerkship director or the program director
(06-01-2020, 02:39 PM)Guest Wrote: They are putting out guidelines again soon but as of now it states either the gen Surg clerkship director or the program director

Guidelines for what? Most people have already had to submit their fourth year schedules.
(06-01-2020, 02:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 02:39 PM)Guest Wrote: They are putting out guidelines again soon but as of now it states either the gen Surg clerkship director or the program director

Guidelines for what? Most people have already had to submit their fourth year schedules.

^agreed, my schedule is set and they’re not budging gen surg spots for those not applying into it at my school so I likely won’t be able to get a fresh letter from them. Plus they’re scrambling to get their own applicants through so I don’t think it’s great to put this onus on the gen surg clerkship/program director..
(06-01-2020, 03:51 PM)Guest Wrote:

^agreed, my schedule is set and they’re not budging gen surg spots for those not applying into it at my school so I likely won’t be able to get a fresh letter from them. Plus they’re scrambling to get their own applicants through so I don’t think it’s great to put this onus on the gen surg clerkship/program director..

My understanding is that the expectation isn't to do a new rotation but to get a letter from your M3 clerkship..
(06-01-2020, 04:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 03:51 PM)Guest Wrote:

My understanding is that the expectation isn't to do a new rotation but to get a letter from your M3 clerkship..

That’d be fine if we could reach out to whatever surgeon we worked closely with (even though it’s been a year+ since.. hence the idea to do another rotation m4), but it sounds like they want a clerkship/program director letter, neither of whom I’ve had any appreciable amount of interaction with that would warrant me asking a letter from..
Why do I need a general surgery letter of recommendation? 

Competence and equity are of utmost importance during these substantive changes to our normal application process. It is important to have a consistent but independent source of information for each student. All AAMC-accredited medical students must complete a core rotation in surgery. As neurosurgical training has decreased the formalized surgery training during the intern year, it is critical that medical students engage in and master core general surgical skills. Additionally, because students may have a more limited time rotating in neurosurgery this year, it is important to gain insight into the breadth of their surgical experience. A general surgery LOR template is forthcoming that will allow the surgery department to provide a summation of the body of work you performed during your surgical rotations, largely drawn from the evaluations given at the time of those rotations. Any surgical mentor from a discipline other than neurosurgery may assist in completing this letter and writing the individualized summary. Surgical rotations including but not limited to general surgery, vascular surgery, otolaryngology, thoracic surgery, and plastic surgery, among others, provide experience complementary to that obtained in neurosurgery rotations and are thus a good source for this recommendation

-can be found on SNS website FAQs
What does the LOR template look like? Is every program really abiding by these rules?
(06-02-2020, 02:53 PM)Guest Wrote: What does the LOR template look like? Is every program really abiding by these rules?

The template has not been released yet.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)