Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn
(04-30-2019, 06:03 AM)Guest Wrote: It isn’t stats that they use to determine who gets it. I applied and got it, 241, no AOA, 5 clinical 2 bench papers.

Then what do they use?
(04-30-2019, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 06:03 AM)Guest Wrote: It isn’t stats that they use to determine who gets it. I applied and got it, 241, no AOA, 5 clinical 2 bench papers.

Then what do they use?

Faculty connections help, like having a mentor that can put in a call for you. Quality and type of research aligning with theirs.
(04-30-2019, 08:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote:

Then what do they use?

Faculty connections help, like having a mentor that can put in a call for you. Quality and type of research aligning with theirs.

Calls are important for Sub-Is. Usually first come first serve with a limited amount of spots obviously, and these programs are giving away spots to students who have mentors reach out.
(04-30-2019, 11:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:26 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 08:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Didn't get a spot here either. 259 Step 1, junior AOA, 10 papers (all clinical), mid-tier medical school.

wow seriously? did you get a spot anywhere else??

I applied for a competitive month and didn't ask for other options. I got sub-is at similar caliber programs so I'm not bitter.

Also rejected with very similar stats. Out of curiosity, what programs are considered "similar caliber" to Penn?
Northwestern, Duke, UVA, Michigan, long list
(05-01-2019, 11:52 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 08:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Didn't get a spot here either. 259 Step 1, junior AOA, 10 papers (all clinical), mid-tier medical school.

I applied for a competitive month and didn't ask for other options. I got sub-is at similar caliber programs so I'm not bitter.

Also rejected with very similar stats. Out of curiosity, what programs are considered "similar caliber" to Penn?

I don't want to give away where I'm doing my aways for sake of anonymity but I'd say Michigan, UVA, Brigham, NYU, UCLA, Duke, and Stanford are similar.
(05-01-2019, 12:27 PM)Guest Wrote:

I don't want to give away where I'm doing my aways for sake of anonymity but I'd say Michigan, UVA, Brigham, NYU, UCLA, Duke, and Stanford are similar.

I think the people with the great scores etc. who didn't get in are overthinking this...you posted that you received an email in late April which means I'm guessing you did not apply early enough for this Sub-I and they have limited spots (like only 4 or 5 per month). I don't think it has anything to do with your "stats" not being stellar enough or whether or not you have a faculty mentor...I'm doing a SubI here and I don't have a faculty mentor but I did apply like way early in March or maybe even Feb (don't remember exactly when).
(06-30-2019, 10:00 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 12:26 AM)Guest Wrote: wow seriously? did you get a spot anywhere else??

I think the people with the great scores etc. who didn't get in are overthinking this...you posted that you received an email in late April which means I'm guessing you did not apply early enough for this Sub-I and they have limited spots (like only 4 or 5 per month). I don't think it has anything to do with your "stats" not being stellar enough or whether or not you have a faculty mentor...I'm doing a SubI here and I don't have a faculty mentor but I did apply like way early in March or maybe even Feb (don't remember exactly when).

I wouldn't necessarily say people are overthinking this. I am now a PGY2, but when I was a student I applied for a rotation at Penn in December and didn't get it. 258, AOA, mostly honors, mid-tier med school. Didn't get rejected from any other sub-Is. I think Penn probably prioritizes sub-Is by pedigree of med school. Take a look at the website if you don't believe me:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/departments...-residents
(06-30-2019, 01:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 10:00 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 11:47 AM)Guest Wrote: I applied for a competitive month and didn't ask for other options. I got sub-is at similar caliber programs so I'm not bitter.

I wouldn't necessarily say people are overthinking this. I am now a PGY2, but when I was a student I applied for a rotation at Penn in December and didn't get it. 258, AOA, mostly honors, mid-tier med school. Didn't get rejected from any other sub-Is. I think Penn probably prioritizes sub-Is by pedigree of med school. Take a look at the website if you don't believe me:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/departments...-residents

Nah. I’m a PGY-2 currently. 240/241 no AOA, 2 honors from a low tier school, and I got the sub-I, and had rock turn it down. They just didn’t like you bro
Any recent rotators on their experience with Penn and the quality of the program in terms of academics and operative experience.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)