Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
covid 19- business as usual?
SF canceled as well. Berger diagnosed with ED
hey fuckstick, that's an urgent case, not elective. learn the fucking difference. most spine cases are elective. there's no such thing as an urgent "crippling radiculopathy," that's the kind of bullshit you tell the scheduler to get your case on sooner.

and ACS today put out guidelines recommending surgeons thoughtfully consider the necessity of their elective procedures.

(03-13-2020, 07:31 PM)Guest Wrote: hey fuckstick, that's an urgent case, not elective. learn the fucking difference. most spine cases are elective. there's no such thing as an urgent "crippling radiculopathy," that's the kind of bullshit you tell the scheduler to get your case on sooner.

and ACS today put out guidelines recommending surgeons thoughtfully consider the necessity of their elective procedures.

https://www.facs.org/about-acs/covid-19/...r-surgeons
Hypothetically Mening case can wait a couple weeks and suffer no ill consequences. Unless tumor causing status. likely Semi elective. Slow growing tumor and likely slow onset foot drop, will get better either way
Senipr Neurosurgery Resident Here

Once again, the expert opinion of fourth year medical students is always appreciated when it comes to the triaging of patients. Keep in mind that when you become a resident, you work in a hospital where there are other specialties and other diseases with critical patients. Sometimes, these patients have diseases that are not neurosurgical. This does not make them any less important.

Please remember that as a neurosurgeon, you are not a god and you not better than anyone else in the medical profession. You are a doctor.

I completely agree with any plan to cancel all elective cases. This is a public health move. There are estimates out of Hopkins ID that 70-150 million americans will be infected with a 20-30% hospitalization rate, which is 30 million americans or so. Only 1 million beds available currently. So all elective cases being cancelled will free up beds. Additionally, particularly from the spine standpoint, where the vast majority of degen spine patients are in the risk category based on age to COVID-19, you would not be doing them a service by operating on them, putting them in the hospital, only to have them be infected plus be postoperative. You'd be virtually guaranteeing them a pneumonia complication.

You guys are going to match in a week. Have an open mind when you start residency. You don't know what you don't know and that makes you dangerous. definitely more dangerous than COVID-19.
(03-13-2020, 08:17 PM)Guest Wrote: Hypothetically Mening case can wait a couple weeks and suffer no ill consequences. Unless tumor causing status. likely Semi elective. Slow growing tumor and likely slow onset foot drop, will get better either way

I agree. There's a lot of gray area between what's "elective", "semi-elective", or elective but if it were your family member you'd get done sooner rather than later. If you have a pituitary adenoma that's pressing on the chiasm but without visual loss on field testing that's booked as an "elective" case but if it were me I'd definitely get that taken out ASAP before it grows more.

Also there's huge variability across the US. If you're in Washington state, Cali, or East Coast that's probably the direction you're going in. But what if you're in a place like Alabama where there's one or two cases in the whole state? Doesn't make a lot of sense to cancel all your cases on Monday.
(03-13-2020, 04:46 PM)Guest Wrote: SF canceled as well. Berger diagnosed with ED

comment of the week right here
Any programs making moves to protect residents?
(03-14-2020, 09:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Any programs making moves to protect residents?

Yes. We are operating on a weekend/holiday schedule. East coast.
UCSD will be fine, when I sub-i'ed they have minimal volume, so the residents will be safe
Operating full-power so far. Midwest program.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)