Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aways/letters during pandemic
(04-08-2020, 05:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 04:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 04:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Nathan Selden discusses the externship cycle and application cycle: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4N0AOUeST7PyL3SyjmzwcL

Hope it provides some insight. Still lots of unanswered questions.

Hmm...thx for the link. I clicked on it and it took me to different videos. Tried to look around and could find Dr. Selden video on SubI. Can you give me how I can find this on SNS website? TIA

Try this one: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4N0AOUeST7PyL3SyjmzwcL
It worked. Thx so much.
+1 research year
+2, didn’t have enough research, was relying on aways. PD recommended a year
+3, already have 15ish but want to be safe
So I'm assuming most people are going to match at home program this cycle?
Next cycle ( fall of 2021 ) is going to suck. Do you think PDs will look at your research output more favorably if it was done without an extra research year?
(04-10-2020, 03:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Next cycle ( fall of 2021 ) is going to suck. Do you think PDs will look at your research output more favorably if it was done without an extra research year?

Why?
You have a ton of candidates who otherwise would have applied this fall who will be competing for the spots the following cycle, loaded up with extra research
Of course, it is more advantageous to apply now if you don’t have a good research year lined up because it will just seem like you are trying to play the system, and you may not even be productive. There may be uncertainty applying this year but that’s true for everyone. If you were going to match before covid, you are going to match during covid. Sure, you may be hurt by no aways but so is everyone else.
GuestOf course, it is more advantageous to apply now if you don’t have a good research year lined up because it will just seem like you are trying to play the system, and you may not even be productive. There may be uncertainty applying this year but that’s true for everyone. If you were going to match before covid, you are going to match during covid. Sure, you may be hurt by no aways but so is everyone else.

While it’s true everyone will be affected by no aways to some degree, the effect will not be the same across the board. There will be a lot of home matches. Some students, depending on their institution and how hard their geographic region has been hit, might not even get to do a home rotation any time soon which can be tough if there are more home applicants than home spots.

The emphasis this year to match outside of your home program, aside from the usual boards/pubs, will be pedigree and connections of your home chair.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)