Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match %
Does anyone know the match percent? I heard this year was brutal.
<50% if you also include people that will/have withdrawn or SOAPed into another specialty
(03-18-2020, 12:35 PM)Guest Wrote: <50% if you also include people that will/have withdrawn or SOAPed into another specialty

Source? This seems highly improbable
Weren't there close to 400 applicants this year among MD/DO/FMGs?
IERAS look it up yourself on number of applicants to the field
February 2020 data from ERAS/AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/eras-statistics-2019
361 US/Canadian applicants
126 IMG applicants
=487 overall applicants

How many spots? From NRMP 2019 data, there were 232 positions offered. Doubt it went up very much.

The match rate will be pretty low
The reported match rate will be higher, because they remove people that withdraw and remove people that SOAP into another field from the statistics. The actual is <50% as stated above.
Say # offered positions went up by 10% this year to 255 spots, which is probably generous.
Even if entirely filled by US/Canadian grads (again unlikely, last year about 90% of spots were filled by US/Canadian), the match rate in that cohort would be 255/361 = 70.6%
So it'll probably be closer to 60-65% match rate for US/Canadian. That's impressive

(03-18-2020, 01:52 PM)Guest Wrote: The reported match rate will be higher, because they remove people that withdraw and remove people that SOAP into another field from the statistics. The actual is <50% as stated above.

Good point. Future applicants should keep this in mind. The rate you really want to know about is the 'raw' rate, not the inflated rate calculated after withdraw and SOAP. The raw rate counts unmatched, withdraw, and SOAP in the denominator
I believe programs shut down this year as well. I doubt there was any increase in spots, definitely not 10%
Yep, calculation intentionally generous. I mean, this is a historically low match rate, right? 60% for US/Canadian just sounds crazy to me

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)