Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plans for non-matchers
(03-20-2020, 04:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 03:53 PM)Guest Wrote: The amount of nepotism in the field is pretty apparent this cycle

Dude don’t be so bitter

Nepotism will always be present in any competitive arena. It’s not bad to point it out. It just is.
(03-20-2020, 04:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 03:53 PM)Guest Wrote: The amount of nepotism in the field is pretty apparent this cycle

Dude don’t be so bitter

Nepotism will always be present in any competitive arena. It’s not bad to point it out. It just is.

Who benefitted from nepotism?
(03-20-2020, 04:41 PM)Guest Wrote:

Dude don’t be so bitter

u mad bro?
A random foreign-trained neurosurgeon and former ERAS-applicant here. Not directed to anyone, but I believe everybody is the beneficiaries and victims of nepotism in this game. I trained outside of the U.S. so hope this gives you a little bit of bird’s eye perspective.

Cut to the chase, none of the metrics (board, grade, pubs, presentations...) the programs are desperately using to screen applicants are reliable predictors of successful neurosurgeons, the definition of which varies widely, but at least based on my criteria. I am just a random guy but in my opinion they would want applicants whom

1) they can trust
2) Ultimately, they love so much that even if we make a horrendous mistake in the OR, they don’t hesitate to teach and take full responsibility, which requires insane amount of bondage.

None of these can be predicted via ERAS applications, 15-minutes x 20 interviews, or even one-month sub-Is. Thus, the only way to do this from the programs’ standpoint is listen to people who they trust. If that applicant turned out to be different from what they wanted, that is unfortunate, but there would be less regret than taking the risk of choosing unknown applicants based on fluffy, sugar-coated 15 minutes interaction.

The bottom line is that to build up connections is the most important aspect of this game. Hope this helps future applicants.
(03-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Guest Wrote: I SOAPed into a prelim gen surg year. Just had a series of interviews for some vacant nsgy PGY2 places. Will see what happens. Can't think of any reasons particular in my case.

What was the outcome?
got my interview for UC Irvine vacancy scheduled friday
(06-06-2020, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote: got my interview for UC Irvine vacancy scheduled friday

did you enter the match for a pgy1 spot? also good luck

ALSO- how did you hear about the open spots?
its not a PGY1 spot, so not I did not enter the match. The match also doesn't open until Sept.
(06-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Guest Wrote: its not a PGY1 spot, so not I did not enter the match. The match also doesn't open until Sept.

what year?
(06-06-2020, 11:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Guest Wrote: its not a PGY1 spot, so not I did not enter the match. The match also doesn't open until Sept.

what year?

PGY2?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)