Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plans for non-matchers
For those who unfortunately did not match this cycle, I thought it would be helpful for future applicants to hear what your process was. Did you SOAP? Are you taking 1-2 research years? Are you changing specialties?

And while maintaining anonymity, is there was a specific reason you feel that you did not match? This may help future applicants avoid these mistakes and improve their chances.

Thank you and I hope everything works out in the end!
I SOAPed into a prelim gen surg year. Just had a series of interviews for some vacant nsgy PGY2 places. Will see what happens. Can't think of any reasons particular in my case.
SOAPing into prelim gen surg because my CV is solid otherwise. Research year more beneficial if you have no home program or have no pubs.
(03-18-2020, 05:12 PM)Guest Wrote: SOAPing into prelim gen surg because my CV is solid otherwise. Research year more beneficial if you have no home program or have no pubs.

I would recommend not graduating, will have better chances as applying as a graduating senior next year.
(03-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Guest Wrote: I SOAPed into a prelim gen surg year. Just had a series of interviews for some vacant nsgy PGY2 places. Will see what happens. Can't think of any reasons particular in my case.

Not to beat a dead horse here because I know like 7 other people have made threads about open positions for PGY4's etc, but how are you finding open positions? I haven't seen any posted and prior program attendings say they're asking around...?
Suicide is definitely not the answer.
(03-18-2020, 06:31 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 05:12 PM)Guest Wrote: SOAPing into prelim gen surg because my CV is solid otherwise. Research year more beneficial if you have no home program or have no pubs.

I would recommend not graduating, will have better chances as applying as a graduating senior next year.

I don’t think there’s any data comparing the two.

Delaying a year and getting new SubIs sounds appealing but many schools are canceling aways.
(03-18-2020, 07:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Guest Wrote: I SOAPed into a prelim gen surg year. Just had a series of interviews for some vacant nsgy PGY2 places. Will see what happens. Can't think of any reasons particular in my case.

Not to beat a dead horse here because I know like 7 other people have made threads about open positions for PGY4's etc, but how are you finding open positions? I haven't seen any posted and prior program attendings say they're asking around...?

why are you looking for PGY4 spots
(03-18-2020, 06:31 PM)Guest Wrote:

I think it depends on the goals of the applicant. If they are hoping to reapply to neurosurgery, then both options might be good. However, if the applicant feels that they are unlikely to match neurosurgery on a 2nd attempt and have decided to pursue other specialties, maybe prelim surgery is a better option to get a foot in the door at a gen surg program.
As an attending who has read applications for a few years, I see a mix of both. I genuinely don't understand why anyone who wants to seriously try again for NSG would do a prelim year

- NSG attendings, except maybe at the same institution, generally don't care what general surgeons think
- Less time for research, aways, interviews
- Time wasted learning gen surg stuff you're less likely to use (some of it is helpful, though)
- Less time to get to know neurosurgeons, which goes the furthest when helping reapplicants match. You need someone in your corner because not matching is a red flag, no matter how you cut it.

Do prelims match? Sure, but they have to be lucky.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)