Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Programs for Academic Career
(04-29-2020, 02:40 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 12:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 10:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 11:37 PM)Glioma Wrote: I agree with drstrange's post but here are my thoughts since I can easily tell that most of the posts in this topic are coming from med students, residents and probably junior faculty whose knowledge is limited and mostly based on 5 years experience or so. When you want to talk about academic powerhouse it's not based on a batch of graduates but it's a work for decades...here I am talking about at least 20-30 years of actively producing academic neurosurgeons who are heavily involved in the leadership positions.

1) UVA: Although the great John Jane has died and the program lost a lot of its prestige, there is still a large portion of its graduates in leadership positions across the country. Not mentioning this program in any of the posts above just tells me how much inexperienced posters above are

2) USC: Almost same as above. Many faculty retired or left but still has a solid name and connections.

3) Columbia: Regardless you like the program or not, they know how to operate or not, they produce high quality research or crap, Columbia has produced and is still producing plenty of well-connected academic neurosurgeons.

The other two potential places:
-UCSF: t's just a 10 year batch or so but who knows it might continue or fall apart after Berger's departure
-Hopkins: It's a mini Columbia. It heavily depends on its strong connection to Columbia

Sorry, no MGH, no BWH, no Duke, no Stanford, no WashU, no U of W, no Pitt, no UCLA, no UCSD, no Iowa, no NW and definitely no Barrow

Lastly, you can go anywhere and make a name for yourself

MGH has the most chairs in the nation (15)... seems like a solid place to train for an academic career

UVA still beats it... MGH has been always bad in operative experience. When UVA used to be great, it offered both unparalleled operative experience (1 year in UK/NZ) PLUS politics un organized neurosurgery

How important is operative experience in an academic career?

Literally no one cares how good a program "USED to be." You would be stupid to go to a place based on the training environment and people there decades ago. Cincinnati used to be the place for skull base, with John Tew and Harry van Loveren .. 20 years ago. That's completely irrelevant to choosing the best programs right now, for residency and fellowship.
(04-29-2020, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 02:40 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 12:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 10:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 11:37 PM)Glioma Wrote: I agree with drstrange's post but here are my thoughts since I can easily tell that most of the posts in this topic are coming from med students, residents and probably junior faculty whose knowledge is limited and mostly based on 5 years experience or so. When you want to talk about academic powerhouse it's not based on a batch of graduates but it's a work for decades...here I am talking about at least 20-30 years of actively producing academic neurosurgeons who are heavily involved in the leadership positions.

1) UVA: Although the great John Jane has died and the program lost a lot of its prestige, there is still a large portion of its graduates in leadership positions across the country. Not mentioning this program in any of the posts above just tells me how much inexperienced posters above are

2) USC: Almost same as above. Many faculty retired or left but still has a solid name and connections.

3) Columbia: Regardless you like the program or not, they know how to operate or not, they produce high quality research or crap, Columbia has produced and is still producing plenty of well-connected academic neurosurgeons.

The other two potential places:
-UCSF: t's just a 10 year batch or so but who knows it might continue or fall apart after Berger's departure
-Hopkins: It's a mini Columbia. It heavily depends on its strong connection to Columbia

Sorry, no MGH, no BWH, no Duke, no Stanford, no WashU, no U of W, no Pitt, no UCLA, no UCSD, no Iowa, no NW and definitely no Barrow

Lastly, you can go anywhere and make a name for yourself

MGH has the most chairs in the nation (15)... seems like a solid place to train for an academic career

UVA still beats it... MGH has been always bad in operative experience. When UVA used to be great, it offered both unparalleled operative experience (1 year in UK/NZ) PLUS politics un organized neurosurgery

How important is operative experience in an academic career?

Literally no one cares how good a program "USED to be." You would be stupid to go to a place based on the training environment and people there decades ago. Cincinnati used to be the place for skull base, with John Tew and Harry van Loveren .. 20 years ago. That's completely irrelevant to choosing the best programs right now, for residency and fellowship.

UVA still does a NZ year, no?
UVa has fallen far.

Top academic programs are UCSF, Hopkins, Mayo, UPMC, and MGH.
(04-30-2020, 10:17 PM)Guest Wrote: UVa has fallen far.

Why is that the case? Just wondering how acclaimed programs can seem to fall off overtime. Is it just cuz major faculty have left, research output is declining, etc.? I can’t imagine operative experience/volume fluctuates too much year to year.
(05-01-2020, 12:01 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 10:17 PM)Guest Wrote: UVa has fallen far.

Why is that the case? Just wondering how acclaimed programs can seem to fall off overtime. Is it just cuz major faculty have left, research output is declining, etc.? I can’t imagine operative experience/volume fluctuates too much year to year.

Lower caliber of faculty, major faculty losses, decreasing priority of institution for neurosurgery as compared to ortho, decreasing case volume, ...
Ya I would disagree massively with that list... UCSF ok fine. The others are all debatable... this site has just turned into a bunch of med student fan boys spouting off bullcrap they've been told.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)