Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgeon FALLING OFF?????
I can’t tell what’s funnier, that you think someone has to be at an academic place to follow a guideline, or that you think neurosurgery even has convincing guidelines at all. Ur ideas are in an arms race of ignorance
Off topic, but what is the inter-professional stuff like at PP places? At academic places, I've seen speech therapists, NPs, PT etc people boss surgeons around. They call it inter-professional teams. Does this happen at PP?
(02-14-2023, 03:35 AM)Guest Wrote: Off topic, but what is the inter-professional stuff like at PP places? At academic places, I've seen speech therapists, NPs, PT etc people boss surgeons around. They call it inter-professional teams. Does this happen at PP?

Imagine being a neurosurgeon attending and letting a 25 year old speech therapist boss you around. Maybe your institution is just full of beta males.
It’s the result of previous neurosurgeons thinking they were untouchable. They didn’t think or didn’t care that when all the PP around gets bought up, you become just another employee with no direct reports. Anyone is free to tell you to pound sand, and sometimes they’re encouraged to do so with the initiatives to “flatten the hierarchy.”

One day, see if you can get a hold of the org chart at an academic center. Look at the chair’s boss. Sometimes it isn’t even a physician.
This idea that neurosurgeons don't do quality research is just false. Lots of NS get NIH grants including R01. However, most people are not smart enough to do research, so they are forced into PP and become bitter.
(02-20-2023, 01:11 AM)Guest Wrote: This idea that neurosurgeons don't do quality research is just false. Lots of NS get NIH grants including R01. However, most people are not smart enough to do research, so they are forced into PP and become bitter.

Lol, more like the other way around. PP surgeons have a better quality of life and that's where the real talent lies.
Academics is near worthless for most neurosurgeons. You get garbage pay and have a million bosses breathing down your neck all for "prestige".
And for that reason I feel like a moron every time I tell my PD I want an academic job…
If money is all you care about, my recommendation is do full-time locums and rack up a bunch of case reviews for the prosecution. There are good jobs in both private practice and academics. I like to teach residents and fellows and I like complex and interesting cases, which are referred often from private practice neurosurgeons.

My lifestyle I think is pretty good by my assessment One week a call a month with a fellow who takes the brunt of it. I get maybe a couple phone calls a month at night and one or two emergent cases on nights or weekends a month. Sleep 7 to 8 hours most nights, less usually due to kids rather than work, and go to the gym 3 times a week. Do papers and stuff while residents expose. Not all of academic jobs are like this but not all PP jobs are Nirvana.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)