Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgeon FALLING OFF?????
Exclamation 
I was looking at MGH neurosurgery alumni and found this guy Eric Chang who was listed as an attending at Southern New Hampshire. This sounded like private practice so I did a bit of research and found out he went to MIT for undergrad → HMS for med school → MGH for neurosurg residency, which is pretty much perfect educational experience up until that point. Unfortunately after that he did a fellowship at New England Baptist Hospital (???), joined the faculty of UW (pretty good I guess) for a year, but then left for private practice. What makes people like this who seem set up for a career as an academic neurosurgeon leave for private practice?
(04-03-2020, 02:13 AM)Guest Wrote: I was looking at MGH neurosurgery alumni and found this guy Eric Chang who was listed as an attending at Southern New Hampshire. This sounded like private practice so I did a bit of research and found out he went to MIT for undergrad → HMS for med school → MGH for neurosurg residency, which is pretty much perfect educational experience up until that point. Unfortunately after that he did a fellowship at New England Baptist Hospital (???), joined the faculty of UW (pretty good I guess) for a year, but then left for private practice. What makes people like this who seem set up for a career as an academic neurosurgeon leave for private practice?

Lol
you are a human turd
Because southern New Hampshire is a feeder into the partners(mgh) system. Also I’m sure they pay him an unbelievable amount of money 2M+
Most private jobs pay is simply very different than most academic jobs. When you consider that the average private jobs pays probably at least double the average academic job its no wonder that very talented guys go into the private world all the time.

That being said money is certainly not everything and the demands and job you are doing is quite different.
(04-03-2020, 07:27 AM)Guest Wrote: Most private jobs pay is simply very different than most academic jobs. When you consider that the average private jobs pays probably at least double the average academic job its no wonder that very talented guys go into the private world all the time.

That being said money is certainly not everything and the demands and job you are doing is quite different.

second this. also probably gets more time in the OR and more vacation
(04-03-2020, 02:13 AM)Guest Wrote: I was looking at MGH neurosurgery alumni and found this guy Eric Chang who was listed as an attending at Southern New Hampshire. This sounded like private practice so I did a bit of research and found out he went to MIT for undergrad → HMS for med school → MGH for neurosurg residency, which is pretty much perfect educational experience up until that point. Unfortunately after that he did a fellowship at New England Baptist Hospital (???), joined the faculty of UW (pretty good I guess) for a year, but then left for private practice. What makes people like this who seem set up for a career as an academic neurosurgeon leave for private practice?

This post is absolutely ridiculous and illustrates how we breed pathologic surgeons.

This is a career, not a dick swinging contest. You're trying to fulfill yourself, take care of your family, and do a good job for your patients. The residents and surgeons who are the most successful, regardless of institution, find a way to do that and only that, and the prestige follows. If you don't believe a great surgeon can come from anywhere, you're fucking oblivious.

Stop looking at Doximity and US News, get your head out of your ass and start learning how to operate. Do a good job, then think about why it's not good enough. Don't half-ass anything. Learn from people you admire and figure out how to BE BETTER.

Nothing else matters, you twats.
(04-03-2020, 11:21 AM)Guest Wrote:

This post is absolutely ridiculous and illustrates how we breed pathologic surgeons.

This is a career, not a dick swinging contest. You're trying to fulfill yourself, take care of your family, and do a good job for your patients. The residents and surgeons who are the most successful, regardless of institution, find a way to do that and only that, and the prestige follows. If you don't believe a great surgeon can come from anywhere, you're fucking oblivious.

Stop looking at Doximity and US News, get your head out of your ass and start learning how to operate. Do a good job, then think about why it's not good enough. Don't half-ass anything. Learn from people you admire and figure out how to BE BETTER.

But but but.... Harvard and MIT

Agree, solid post
(04-03-2020, 11:27 AM)Guest Wrote:

Agree, solid post

These are stupid Med students posting here. Once you start residency you’ll realize prestige is secondary. You are already in an elite speciality.
(04-03-2020, 11:28 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 11:27 AM)Guest Wrote:

Agree, solid post

These are stupid Med students posting here. Once you start residency you’ll realize prestige is secondary. You are already in an elite speciality.
Why is an MGH grad doing a fellowship at no name institution though

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)