Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced Resign - Reapply
(04-12-2020, 02:46 PM)NeurosurgeryDream Wrote: Has anyone ever been forced to resign mid residency and then found a spot at another program?  Are there ways to improve oneself to become a better applicant.  Or is forced resignation pretty much career ending.
Forcing a resident to resign is not legal, although it’s common & accepted practice. Residents sign one year contracts (residency is never a guarantee, graduating, being promoted etc. is not ever guaranteed and you have very little legal rights) and—economically speaking—it’s not in the interest of the hospital/program to ever promote you. Cheap labor. I suggest you get an attorney and follow due process, have the program (GME) reinstate you because you were forced to resign against your will. Do this only if they have nothing against you, you haven’t been written up etc. Exploit the delineation in the due process, remember you cannot litigate until you’ve exhausted due process. Only my opinion, this is not legal advice. Residents have little understanding of their rights when signing contract. You’re strapped with debt and fear of career ending consequences & this IS accepted behavior. Don’t burn bridges but if you must, go all in. File a complaint to ACGME and use that as leverage. Lots of questions here, did they prepare the resignation letter? We’re you coerced into signing? Did you trade your career for a good LOR? Good luck. Not career ending, navigate smartly. Seek counsel.
(04-13-2020, 11:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 07:36 PM)baston Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 11:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Tough situation.  But honestly if a program doesn't like you or has ulterior motives... they can FIND a reason and fire ANY resident in that program.  Everyone has issues at some level, and its whether or not they choose to document and persist on it is key.  They can make any little mistake into a big deal.  Example, you have the attending who bashes residents, rude to scrub techs, makes inappropriate comments...but makes the program/hospital $$$... then everyone will choose to be quiet.  You have a resident who does tons of research, well liked but does unprofessional behavior, they might slap you on the wrist.  Politics in the hospital world are in unfortunate thing, especially academic medicine.

dead on

Hahaha that’s what UCSD did to their resident from UCSF

Such a shame, where did he end up?
heard that that resident signed with a higher ranked, more volume program. and that ucsd is in trouble with the acgme...that is the rumor.

either way, nsgy is full of politics. residents are free labor yes, but if wronged can do a lot of damage to the program. always fight for your rights. i am a junior attending, and these are my 2 cents

stay safe out there
(04-14-2020, 12:42 PM)Guest Wrote: heard that that resident signed with a higher ranked, more volume program. and that ucsd is in trouble with the acgme...that is the rumor.

either way, nsgy is full of politics. residents are free labor yes, but if wronged can do a lot of damage to the program. always fight for your rights. i am a junior attending, and these are my 2 cents

stay safe out there

agreed. residents sign contracts they don’t fully understand until it’s too late. (also as residents, you can’t exactly take the contract to an attorney to red line, you’re forced to sign a contract that’s not beneficial to you) also might not have the resources to hire an attorney with enough horse power to take the program to task when they are wronged. universities out lawyer you, I’ve been on both sides of this and it’s tough. residents and physicians deserve more rights but contractually they personally carry the liability that hospitals quickly offload when things go south/you’re a casualty of politics, hence the one year contract for a seven year training program. legally it should be the programs responsibility to train you, it’s a “training program” but it’s not seen that way in the eyes of the law. it’s a game, the more you understand it the safer you’ll be. know your rights, read the policies.

good luck.
(04-14-2020, 01:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 12:42 PM)Guest Wrote: heard that that resident signed with a higher ranked, more volume program. and that ucsd is in trouble with the acgme...that is the rumor.

stay safe out there

agreed. residents sign contracts they don’t fully understand until it’s too late. (also as residents, you can’t exactly take the contract to an attorney to red line, you’re forced to sign a contract that’s not beneficial to you) also might not have the resources to hire an attorney with enough horse power to take the program to task when they are wronged. universities out lawyer you, I’ve been on both sides of this and it’s tough. residents and physicians deserve more rights but contractually they personally carry the liability that hospitals quickly offload when things go south/you’re a casualty of politics, hence the one year contract for a seven year training program. legally it should be the programs responsibility to train you, it’s a “training program” but it’s not seen that way in the eyes of the law. it’s a game, the more you understand it the safer you’ll be. know your rights, read the policies.

good luck.

How receptive or how easy is it to get into another program?  Nothing egregious went on.  Also when do openings usually happen?
Has anyone ever been forced to resign and rejoined a program months or even a year or so later?
(04-17-2020, 05:40 PM)neuroshark14 Wrote: Has anyone ever been forced to resign and rejoined a program months or even a year or so later?

pm. this happened at my program
(04-13-2020, 11:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Don't burn any bridges, leave on good terms as best as possible, and ask for help with finding a new position.

This is important.
It is looking bleak?  If know contract is done June, is there any way to wait a year and re-apply for mid-level resident opening or just recommend another residency.  I dont have a passion for other fields of medicine so I would just be trying to make money and go home.  Neurosurgery is a passion and instead I love reading and helping people in just my free time.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)