Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn State 3+7
Can anyone attest as to whether or not a commitment must be made prior to acceptance/rejection from the pathway
Bumpppppp
Also interested, do I need to commit prior to finding out if I was accepted into the 3+7?
As someone starting undergrad,neurosurgery intrigues me. I’m curios as to how many total hours I should dedicate to extracurriculars over the course of the 3 years before applications to med school are due. For an applicant who is competitive for top 20 med schools, roughly how many total hours should be given to:
-research
-clinical volunteering
-non clinical volunteering
-shadowing
-other extracurriculars

If there’s any other necessary aspect needed to get into a top led School that I’m missing please let me know. I’m just wondering how many hours total and per week I should set aside for this stuff.

(06-06-2020, 11:08 AM)Guest Wrote: As someone starting undergrad,neurosurgery intrigues me. I’m curios as to how many total hours I should dedicate to extracurriculars over the course of the 3 years before applications to med school are due. For an applicant who is competitive for top 20 med schools, roughly how many total hours should be given to:
-research
-clinical volunteering
-non clinical volunteering
-shadowing
-other extracurriculars

If there’s any other necessary aspect needed to get into a top led School that I’m missing please let me know. I’m just wondering how many hours total and per week I should set aside for this stuff.

Damn I meant to create a new thread
It isnt a checkbox where you meet a certain number of hours a week. Achieving meaningful ECs isn’t the same as being a Boy Scout

Dedicate however long you need to the EC to get something out of it
I'm a penn state student. All the students i know that have been in the 3+7 program (and the other accelerated programs) had to first commit to penn state, then apply to the program.
(06-06-2020, 11:10 AM)Guest Wrote: It isnt a checkbox where you meet a certain number of hours a week. Achieving meaningful ECs isn’t the same as being a Boy Scout

Dedicate however long you need to the EC to get something out of it

Useless advice. Same advice my undergraduate premed advisor gave me many years back. Does not answer the question. Does not help a student fresh out of high school who has no clue what the averages are, what are acceptable ranges, and where one needs to be to be competitive in an ultra-competitive process. 

And, yes, achieving meaningful ECs is the same as being a Boy Scout. It's just a game- the sooner one acknowledges this, the easier it becomes to jump through the hoops. Why should premed be any different than being an entrepreneur or an engineer or a lawyer or whatever? At the end, you can be as skilled and as talented and have as much raw content knowledge as possible. But if you don't understand the underlying game- the politics, psychology, motivations- you just don't get it. Your advancement is already capped.

As a pre-med, how much do you learn about a hospital by volunteering 50 hours? A lot. What about 100? 150? Not much more. The benefits are marginal. But if you stop at 50, your app is dead on arrival. It will have to be a certain number to be "meaningful," regardless of whether you can talk/write about it to the moon and back. Pure and simple.
(06-11-2020, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm a penn state student. All the students i know that have been in the 3+7 program (and the other accelerated programs) had to first commit to penn state, then apply to the program.

How competitive do they say it is?
(06-12-2020, 10:34 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm a penn state student. All the students i know that have been in the 3+7 program (and the other accelerated programs) had to first commit to penn state, then apply to the program.

How competitive do they say it is?

As far as i know it's not wildly competitive - but the program is looking for dedicated students who have an interest in the field and will succeed. They don't have to fill the spot each year, so they will pick someone they want and know will do well. I don't think whether it's competitive or not should have any bearing on whether you choose to apply.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)