Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
2020 Application Updates from Chairs & PDs
(05-01-2020, 02:36 PM)Guest Wrote: I think the NW chair could also be implying that they're not prepared to take external sub-is from schools without home programs except in specific cases. Every school has sort of been volunteered to fill that role despite institutional prohibitions on external sub-is. In cities like Chicago, Boston, and NYC, if you don't have a home program, getting some spots will probably be more competitive than others when they know you have options.

Maybe, but per his reply to another tweet that doesn't seem likely. Really sounds like he's saying they're still considering aways and not taking this as a rock solid dictum.
(05-01-2020, 01:58 PM)neuron777 Wrote: Even if select programs disregard SNS guidelines and take on applicants, idk if its worth the negative association of being the med student who thought him/herself better than the rest of the pack and tried to earn outside letters when the majority of program directors voted to cancel. SNS knows some applicants/programs will try to game the system and I imagine the net effect of taking an away elective would be negative to an application this cycle. I guess its up to everyone's discretion

I don't think the majority of program directors voted to cancel. My home program said they were unaware until after the meeting yesterday. Then NW's chairman tweeted "These are recommendations by SNS which were proposed without surveying programs."

so.....
This is a battle between programs and organization...and unfortunately students are the poor middle victims is how I feel right now.
Where on the CNS website will the Zoom meeting transcript be located?
(05-01-2020, 01:58 PM)neuron777 Wrote: Even if select programs disregard SNS guidelines and take on applicants, idk if its worth the negative association of being the med student who thought him/herself better than the rest of the pack and tried to earn outside letters when the majority of program directors voted to cancel. SNS knows some applicants/programs will try to game the system and I imagine the net effect of taking an away elective would be negative to an application this cycle. I guess its up to everyone's discretion

This is incorrect. Lesniak is right - there was no vote. Our PD is in the SNS and the first time he heard about this was 3 days ago. He said that the vast majority of leadership had no idea this was finalized. This is being pushed by a small subsection of people who are on the medical student subcommittee.
(05-01-2020, 07:27 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is incorrect. Lesniak is right - there was no vote. Our PD is in the SNS and the first time he heard about this was 3 days ago. He said that the vast majority of leadership had no idea this was finalized. This is being pushed by a small subsection of people who are on the medical student subcommittee.

That may be true, but I can tell you that my program where no one is on that subcommittee is going to be abiding by the SNS guidelines and I've been told they're working with other programs to come up with virtual experiences for students to meet faculty and residents and participate in rounds.

I would say still apply to aways by reaching out to programs directly if you haven't already, but expect the SNS guidelines to be fairly widely adopted
https://students-residents.aamc.org/appl...-covid-19/

Seems like the SNS policy has been posted to the AAMC website.
(05-06-2020, 01:11 PM)Guest Wrote: https://students-residents.aamc.org/appl...-covid-19/

LOL....so what?  did you read the other policies?  Absolutely no common consensus among program or different residencies.
(05-06-2020, 07:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 01:11 PM)Guest Wrote: https://students-residents.aamc.org/appl...-covid-19/

LOL....so what?  did you read the other policies?  Absolutely no common consensus among program or different residencies.

I don't know why our field can't get it together. The derm statement seems very reasonable and appropriate to the current situation.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)