Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
2020 Application Updates from Chairs & PDs
(04-28-2020, 07:57 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 03:04 PM)Guest Wrote: “In order to maintain highest levels of safety, education, and equity during this COVID-19 period, the SNS recommends the following actions:   1. All away medical students rotations in neurosurgery be deferred in 2020.   2. Given the importance of applicants to experience neurosurgery before deciding upon a career path, each student should do at least 2 sub-internship neurosurgery rotations at their home institution.  For students without a home program, they should perform 2 sub-internship neurosurgery rotations at the closest ACGME accredited program, to minimize travel and keep within regional demographics.   3. Letters of recommendation should come from the students home institution, including neurosurgical faculty (3) and general surgery faculty (1).”

Dude no one ever follows SNS "recommendations." The SNS forbids second looks and tons of applicants do them every year anyway. Numerous programs are going to have rotators, especially at places that haven't been hard hit (like the BNI).

True, but if your home institution doesn't allow you to travel then it doesn't really matter. I think for at least the next two years away rotations will not happen. Furthermore, it's expensive, and becoming more expensive, and I think will be done away will in the next few years. 

The average Nsg applicants spends about 20000 on aways, interviews and applications.... That is total nonsense and not sustainable.
I don't know where you got 20k its realistically its much for like 10K (matched applicant last cycle)
confirmed: All away rotations cancelled. See SNS recommendations. A transcript of the Zoom meeting will be posted on the CNS website tomorrow.
https://www.societyns.org/medical-studen...-rotations
(04-30-2020, 10:03 PM)Aineuron777 Wrote: confirmed: All away rotations cancelled. See SNS recommendations. A transcript of the Zoom meeting will be posted on the CNS website tomorrow.

Got an email saying my program will be following these guidelines. It seems most programs will be following these guidelines.
Not sure how the neighboring program deal will work for applicants w/o home program. Most external places won't take another med student in this pandemic scenario.
Looks like Northwestern Chair on twitter is implying they will still take aways
Even if select programs disregard SNS guidelines and take on applicants, idk if its worth the negative association of being the med student who thought him/herself better than the rest of the pack and tried to earn outside letters when the majority of program directors voted to cancel. SNS knows some applicants/programs will try to game the system and I imagine the net effect of taking an away elective would be negative to an application this cycle. I guess its up to everyone's discretion
What stops other programs from changing their mind when they see that not everyone is adhering to the policy?
(05-01-2020, 01:58 PM)neuron777 Wrote: Even if select programs disregard SNS guidelines and take on applicants, idk if its worth the negative association of being the med student who thought him/herself better than the rest of the pack and tried to earn outside letters when the majority of program directors voted to cancel. SNS knows some applicants/programs will try to game the system and I imagine the net effect of taking an away elective would be negative to an application this cycle. I guess its up to everyone's discretion

You are correct. Stated explicitly in the SNS Policy on External Medical Student Rotations:

"Letters of recommendation from external rotations will be looked upon unfavorably (with the exception of those students without a home program, see 2a)"

I think the NW chair could also be implying that they're not prepared to take external sub-is from schools without home programs except in specific cases. Every school has sort of been volunteered to fill that role despite institutional prohibitions on external sub-is. In cities like Chicago, Boston, and NYC, if you don't have a home program, getting some spots will probably be more competitive than others when they know you have options.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)