Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp Sci Research Topics
I am an MS0 going into a DO school from a computer science bachelors. I have 2 years of undergrad research in bioinformatics (unfortunately not published, but presented twice at conferences). I am no CS wiz, but obviously I am competent (graduated, have applied the skill multiple times in real world outside of research too). And FWIW I also have a psychology research poster that was round-aboutly computational and my presentation won a conference first prize for its category. My questions:

1) So, what reasonable independent CS-NSG projects do you think I could pursue in med school to really stand out—that are realistic in terms of creating demonstrable projects and ideally as many pubs as possible? I’m interested in graphical simulations that make use of physics engines similar to those in video games, and I don’t have experience in A.I. (elective I didn’t take), but I’m confident that I could get good enough at any CS topic apart from electronics (hardware, electrical engineering—not CS categorically) IF it would yield good returns or wow PDs. At least within the 4 years of med school. Also interested in VR/AR and 3D printing, web apps, mobile apps, and genomics. 

2) how might my app be received if my only research was computational—whether NSG or not? Disregarding sheer quantity of pubs/posters/etc.

3) Would it be wise to go for some low hanging fruits in other specialties in terms of CS projects, or would an app of entirely NSG research be fine? I ask because my backup isn’t research heavy and I’d probably tailor my residency apps to not let them think they’re just a backup.

I’m not shooting for big academic programs or even historically only ACGME ones tbh, I’ll be fine applying to former AOA programs where I see many if not most Current residents are still DOs, even some from my school here and there.

I might as well group my unrelated Q in this thread as well...

4) is being a self-taught Spanish bilingual helpful for my app? I have a ton of experience and interest in helping underserved Hispanics... or is this just the bit that got me into DO school and the luck runs out there? Big Grin
(05-05-2020, 03:12 AM)Guest Wrote: I am an MS0 going into a DO school from a computer science bachelors. I have 2 years of undergrad research in bioinformatics (unfortunately not published, but presented twice at conferences). I am no CS wiz, but obviously I am competent (graduated, have applied the skill multiple times in real world outside of research too). And FWIW I also have a psychology research poster that was round-aboutly computational and my presentation won a conference first prize for its category. My questions:

1) So, what reasonable independent CS-NSG projects do you think I could pursue in med school to really stand out—that are realistic in terms of creating demonstrable projects and ideally as many pubs as possible? I’m interested in graphical simulations that make use of physics engines similar to those in video games, and I don’t have experience in A.I. (elective I didn’t take), but I’m confident that I could get good enough at any CS topic apart from electronics (hardware, electrical engineering—not CS categorically) IF it would yield good returns or wow PDs. At least within the 4 years of med school. Also interested in VR/AR and 3D printing, web apps, mobile apps, and genomics. 

2) how might my app be received if my only research was computational—whether NSG or not? Disregarding sheer quantity of pubs/posters/etc.

3) Would it be wise to go for some low hanging fruits in other specialties in terms of CS projects, or would an app of entirely NSG research be fine? I ask because my backup isn’t research heavy and I’d probably tailor my residency apps to not let them think they’re just a backup.

I’m not shooting for big academic programs or even historically only ACGME ones tbh, I’ll be fine applying to former AOA programs where I see many if not most Current residents are still DOs, even some from my school here and there.

I might as well group my unrelated Q in this thread as well...

4) is being a self-taught Spanish bilingual helpful for my app? I have a ton of experience and interest in helping underserved Hispanics... or is this just the bit that got me into DO school and the luck runs out there? Big Grin

PM me

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)