Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.83 Average
Benefit of Top 5 Med School
(05-07-2020, 11:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 11:35 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:51 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:29 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 09:01 AM)Guest Wrote: Is this an actual problem you are posed with? Did your PI ask you to decide between the two? The way to get a good first author paper is to learn the ropes helping others with their projects before you start your own.
^^^

If you had to pick between the two, numbers matter more for cut offs. But this shouldn't be a choice. Do both
What # total do you think the highest cutoffs would be?

Not a good way to think about it. Can you publish 30 papers? Then do it. Can you publish 5? Then do it. I don't think any good researcher does more or less research based on a cutoff.

It does seem like an arms race though. If you get on T-star, it looks like 3 papers is the entry point for interviewing and matching while 6+ is how you become competitive. Obviously personality and other things play a big factor, but by the numbers I would say try to publish as much as you can, but try to get at least 5-6 papers unless you have some big basic science work or something like that.
What is T-star? And thank you for a helpful response. The person above didn't seem to consider that, perhaps, some of us are applying now and are trying to set our sites accordingly based on how many papers we do have, rather than trying to get away with as little work as possible

(05-07-2020, 11:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 11:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 11:35 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:51 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 10:29 AM)Guest Wrote: ^^^

If you had to pick between the two, numbers matter more for cut offs. But this shouldn't be a choice. Do both
What # total do you think the highest cutoffs would be?

Not a good way to think about it. Can you publish 30 papers? Then do it. Can you publish 5? Then do it. I don't think any good researcher does more or less research based on a cutoff.

It does seem like an arms race though. If you get on T-star, it looks like 3 papers is the entry point for interviewing and matching while 6+ is how you become competitive. Obviously personality and other things play a big factor, but by the numbers I would say try to publish as much as you can, but try to get at least 5-6 papers unless you have some big basic science work or something like that.
What is T-star? And thank you for a helpful response. The person above didn't seem to consider that, perhaps, some of us are applying now and are trying to set our sites accordingly based on how many papers we do have, rather than trying to get away with as little work as possible
Nevermind, just found it online. Looks my school does not have access unfortunately.
Thank you for responses. Also, if I do basic science research, how do I make it relevant to neurosurgery topics? Does it have to be relevant to neurosurgery? Do I lose out by working with a Ph.D. PI and not neurosurgery MD PI? There is not a lot of neurosurgery MD R01 funded PIs and... PhD PIs usually have better research

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)