Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myth busters
What were some commonly held interview trail beliefs that are not 100% correct?
You need high step scores to get into neurosurgery
- Academic neurosurgery is the only way to do anything of note in this field
- Capable surgeons are only made at UCSF, BNI, and MGH (trained at one of these, before you call out a chip on my shoulder)
- Training with big names will make you operate, write, and innovate like them
- More cases automatically = better surgeon
- Faculty interviewers are impartial, even-keeled, and care about the minutia of every applicant
(05-10-2020, 02:29 AM)Guest Wrote: - Academic neurosurgery is the only way to do anything of note in this field
- Capable surgeons are only made at UCSF, BNI, and MGH (trained at one of these, before you call out a chip on my shoulder)
- Training with big names will make you operate, write, and innovate like them
- More cases automatically = better surgeon
- Faculty interviewers are impartial, even-keeled, and care about the minutia of every applicant

I don't think anyone would ever put MGH in the same category as UCSF and Barrow for surgical training
Getting a late interview offer means you wont be ranked highly anyways. Know of a couple people who matched at great places after getting second or third wave interview invites.
Being female is an advantage (it is not)
(06-05-2020, 03:11 AM)Thank Guest Wrote: Being female is an advantage (it is not)

+1
I feel that it may be an advantage to get invites, but an all male faculty subconsciously relate to male candidates more easily and subsequently like them better.
(06-05-2020, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 03:11 AM)Thank Guest Wrote: Being female is an advantage (it is not)

+1
I feel that it may be an advantage to get invites, but an all male faculty subconsciously relate to male candidates more easily and subsequently like them better.

also all/ mostly male residents who can bro out together

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)