Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/4
fl filled
UF was filled?
is UF even trying to fill that spot??
does UF have a position?

i believe a diff fla program filled a spot
Well thats where both trolls and well meaning people on this forum mess up, there are PLENTY of programs with open resident positions, but (as far as i know) none are trying to fill them. Most choose to take more interns rather than backfill. Not an expert, just my experience.
this is correct. but on this forum what we mean is open positions that are actively seeking to fill.

we know there are many actual openings
(05-14-2020, 10:16 PM)Guest Wrote: this is correct. but on this forum what we mean is open positions that are actively seeking to fill.

we know there are many actual openings

why would a place rather have an intern than a pgy 4.  seems that they would want more upper level and operative residents?
programs will generally only fill vacancies out of necessity. for instance if the coverage is necessary and cannot be given to other residents

or as favors to other chairman, PDs, or programs

in your point about upper level and operative residents - you are correct, but sadly, in fact, they prefer foreign graduated attendings most. you will find that most vacancies will be filled by foreign graduated attendings

in the eyes of programs residents 1-5ish are equally useless operatively, besides to take call and staff rotations
I'm trying to stay optimistic but losing hope. Going through this situation I have read multiple themes of hundreds of residents going through the same thing and it really points to that a program can use "professionalism" for pretty much any resident they want out for any reason. If they want you out they will find a way. It is not fair and if the same criticism were used for some attendings on their "professionalism" they would easily be out, but they make the hospital a lot of money so things are blurred. I've seen attending make crude jokes, make fun of patients/residents, not round on their own patients, etc. etc.

I was forced to resign and told that if I didn't then I would be put on probation which would just be a technicality I couldn't recover from and would lead to termination. There are multiple residents in my program that have graduated doing way worse and unprofessional things, but if the staff like you they will protect you. Programs can pick and choose who they want to save, and residency is very subjective. Im not big on research and am a quiet guy who was planning on doing private practice, and if you're not an extrovert or a big academic stud your not as well liked. One hospital rated me very high and won awards, whereas another hospital/PD rated me poor due to political reasons ill spare from this forum. Its not a fun game and I have read multiple cases of other residents in similar situations. Unfortunately residents have little power and are in a vulnerable position and policy needs to change for protection. Neurosurgery is more notorious for this than other specialities and programs would rather get rid of a person than spend motivated time and power to help someone through, which is really a failure of the educational program.

It would be great to get a group of people in similar situations from all specialities together, gather everyones stories and go to the ACGME to help give residents a better environment and rights for which to learn. This practice of letting people go needs to stop.
yes a large group of individuals with a history of professionalism issues would be highly credible /s

yes it is not fair. we all have horror stories

in my limited experience, support from previous program is unquestionably mandatory. without it the chances are essentially zero, unless you have a large number of other mentors that can vouch for you, or have made other connections or accomplished a great deal. the first call - and only one that matters- is to your last PD and chair

and even with this support, it is incredibly difficult

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)