Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to NSG Plans
"If you didn't get along there you're unlikely to get along anywhere"

I don't think this is necessarily true, sometimes we just need to mature and learn

that being said, nsgy programs dont really care about growth and change, they care about past history and red flags
(05-20-2020, 06:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 11:13 AM)Guest Wrote: But what if the problem is not solely the resident but politics of a program?  Again, residents in my program have graduated doing significantly worse things.  Also there are unprofessional attending who don’t round on patients, make fun of residents or staff, hit on nurses etc.  

It’s odd when  At one site where a person worked most recently for a semester gave a Resident good recommendation without issues.  It shows that one can succeed in a different environment...

You just described every program in the country: politics, some attendings don't round on patients, residents getting made fun of, surgeons hitting on nurses.

If you didn't get along there you're unlikely to get along anywhere, which is likely why you were let go and won't get picked up. Just go into radiology, have an easy residency, do a neurorads fellowship, pick up a hobby.

Radiology is boring compared to neurosurgery.  EM gets made fun of.  Anesthesia is just that other guy on the side of the drapes.  Nothing come close to the amazingness of neurosurgery.  I love the thrill of fast pace, surgery, thankful patients, etc.  Nothing else can bring that.  You have to go to a job you love getting out of bed for and I can see nothing other than neurosurgery in medicine.  “Professionalism” really is for any job in life, it just boils down to politics and being liked.  If you do every other part of the job just fine but are not liked it’s not fair.

I know a guy that was fired for “professionalism”.  He now is excelling in his job and one of the best teachers and professionals I know.  If you want a dream then chase it.
i remember after i got fired i was similarly naive and in denial (but i never had a clinical issue once! how could this happen to me!)

life, relationships, career...everything is not fair. many things come down to politics and and being liked. there is no fair system and no fair specialty, and no fair career, and no fair life. i am sorry but this is way it works and you must come to terms that the world and system you would like to live in is not the one in which you do. the true nature of life is unfairness...life was never fair and will never be fair

after some time you will realize that whatever happened is rare and could have likely been prevented by you with increased maturity and foresight, and that hurts, but it is the truth.

and that is nice that you liked all that but in all seriousness you would likely just practice community spine surgery, doing decompressions, 1-2 level fusions, and revisions

all just food for thought. best of luck and i truly hope you find a fulfilling path forward
(05-21-2020, 12:25 AM)Guest Wrote: i remember after i got fired i was similarly naive and in denial (but i never had a clinical issue once! how could this happen to me!)

life, relationships, career...everything is not fair. many things come down to politics and and being liked. there is no fair system and no fair specialty, and no fair career, and no fair life. i am sorry but this is way it works and you must come to terms that the world and system you would like to live in is not the one in which you do. the true nature of life is unfairness...life was never fair and will never be fair

after some time you will realize that whatever happened is rare and could have likely been prevented by you with increased maturity and foresight, and that hurts, but it is the truth.

and that is nice that you liked all that but in all seriousness you would likely just practice community spine surgery, doing decompressions, 1-2 level fusions, and revisions

all just food for thought. best of luck and i truly hope you find a fulfilling path forward
What about general surgery or another speciality and perform well in it.  Stay in touch with a NSG program while doing it and reapply.  That way if you dont get in you have something of value at the end.
(05-18-2020, 11:45 AM)Comeback Kid Wrote: Anyone successful after forced resign coming back to neurosurgery within a year or so?  What did you do to get in?

I plan on getting my MBA in the meantime, creating a startup and emailing programs q3months to see if they have an opening.  I’ll probably go to neurosurgery conferences and maybe hangout with a local department.  My thoughts are is it a waste for the opportunity cost of doing research or going to meetings if it’s not going to help get you in in the end?  Should I pursue another speciality?  

Thoughts?

Sounds like you were/are only pursuing neurosurgery for ego satisfaction - if you are serious about an MBA and a startup then why wouldn't you put all your effort into these? It doesn't seem like an MBA is particularly mentally taxing but you literally need to give 100% to your startup unless its one of those shitty apps that don't actually do anything meaningful and are literally there to pad out a doctor's resume/linkedin profile as a "entrepreneur" or "CEO". 

Very, very few people can have their cake and eat it too - if you've already been let go from one residency, I highly doubt you fall into that category.
Yes. Do prayer for getting back into NSG.
What about general surgery, then a plastics fellowship then a neuro-plastic sub-fellowship?
what if you have support from the program though then wouldn't it be possible? Why didn't you just transfer? Speaking of which how does one transfer...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)