Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State Virtual Externship
From their twitter

Don't forget to join us tomorrow (5/21) at 10am Eastern time for our inaugural virtual externship at The Ohio State University Department of Neurosurgery! Learn about the OSU program, interact with faculty and residents, and see some interesting cases!

https://osu.zoom.us/j/91666988509
Great overview of their program. Only invited 45 applicants to interview out of 325 who applied in 2019
Thank you all for doing it! Learned a lot and definitely am considering it now
Hows the endoscopic/skull base experience for residents under danny prevedello?
Also curious to hear about the subspecialty experience in the setting of numerous fellows training there
I graduated from here not too long ago.

The experience with Dr. Prevedello is world class. On top of just being a really pleasant human being, he caters education to the residents experience. Sometimes the fellow and a junior resident will be with him and he’ll teach the junior to drill the sella, open the dura, and begin to dissect tumor. When their comfort level is reached he’ll hand it over to the fellow, and then he’ll finish the job. If he is with a senior or a chief he will let them run the show. They recently added new skull base faculty, Doug Hardesty, one of Prevedello’s fellows, the volume appears to be continuously growing.

Fellows are explicitly told they play second fiddle to residents, and this is supported by the faculty. That being said they often are helpful for the residency program by helping cover rooms when there are not enough residents available. They also add their own experience to teaching residents techniques from where they trained. All of our fellows I worked with were great.

Happy to answer any other questions
As a former graduate what are your opinions on the strengths/weakness of the program overall? What would you change if you could?
(07-31-2020, 05:32 AM)Guest Wrote: Guest
As a former graduate what are your opinions on the strengths/weakness of the program overall? What would you change if you could?

Strengths: operative volume, breadth of cases, all specialties well represented, early operative experience, independence in the OR and with how to spend your elective years. I didn’t do them but there are international rotations. Close group of residents and attendings. I still call and text them to bounce cases off them. Columbus is a great city to live in whether you’re single or have a family.

Weaknesses: junior call can be busy and with the case volume/complexity there are often cases going late. That said I think those are necessary to get solid training. When I was there, there wasn’t much focus on research although that appears to be changing. Dr. Lonser appears to be really upping the research opportunities, especially considering the addition of Krystoff Bankiewicz. 

Summary: I’d pick OSU again

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)