Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extracurriculars besides pubs
(06-05-2020, 11:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Before I caught the neurosurgery bug I was pretty heavily involved in business/entrepreneurship/etc. I started a med-tech company that is surgery related (not neurosurgery though; still in early stages but is up and running) and have invested in life science as a VC. Is this something I should put on my app? I wasn't sure for fear that programs will think I might leave in the middle of residency to pursue industry for whatever reason.

Current resident here, no, put that on your app. Neurosurgery is a nascent field that always needs better tools and techniques. We need minds like yours.
(06-06-2020, 01:00 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 11:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Before I caught the neurosurgery bug I was pretty heavily involved in business/entrepreneurship/etc. I started a med-tech company that is surgery related (not neurosurgery though; still in early stages but is up and running) and have invested in life science as a VC. Is this something I should put on my app? I wasn't sure for fear that programs will think I might leave in the middle of residency to pursue industry for whatever reason.

Current resident here, no, put that on your app. Neurosurgery is a nascent field that always needs better tools and techniques. We need minds like yours.

Attending here. Disagree. Be careful. We want residents who are going to do well at what we hire you to do: be a neurosurgeon. We don't want folks who are going to be constantly missing cases to go meet investors.

You absolutely should include this. Programs will love it. They won't care that it's not specifically about neurosurgery, it shows ingenuity and experience with innovation.
(06-06-2020, 01:57 AM)Guest Wrote:

Attending here. Disagree. Be careful. We want residents who are going to do well at what we hire you to do: be a neurosurgeon. We don't want folks who are going to be constantly missing cases to go meet investors.

Hi, I'm the original poster. I would of course never meet investors to meet cases - that would be incredibly unprofessional and I can 100% imagine myself getting fired over something like that. I would be stepping back and taking on an advisor role when I begin residency, which would be very uninvolved.
(06-06-2020, 10:18 AM)Guest Wrote:

Hi, I'm the original poster. I would of course never meet investors to meet cases - that would be incredibly unprofessional and I can 100% imagine myself getting fired over something like that. I would be stepping back and taking on an advisor role when I begin residency, which would be very uninvolved.

Original responder here. We hear this all the time from folks who have started companies or devoted a lot of time to organizations or nonprofits during med school. These are admirable pursuits, but residency injects complications into your life that you will just not be able to forsee, and how you respond to them is what separates mediocre residents from great ones. Covering last minute cases and staying after your "shift" ends is how you learn. I'm not saying it's impossible to juggle both, just that I haven't seen many residents do it successfully.
(06-06-2020, 12:59 PM)Guest Wrote:

Original responder here. We hear this all the time from folks who have started companies or devoted a lot of time to organizations or nonprofits during med school. These are admirable pursuits, but residency injects complications into your life that you will just not be able to forsee, and how you respond to them is what separates mediocre residents from great ones. Covering last minute cases and staying after your "shift" ends is how you learn. I'm not saying it's impossible to juggle both, just that I haven't seen many residents do it successfully.

Understandable. Obviously there's no way for me to prove to the attendings that I'm not going to bounce when I'm technically off the clock. Thanks for the advice. I'll circle around with some of my other mentors and see what they say as well. It is a shame though that if I were to avoid putting it on my application, there goes just a tremendous amount of time that I spent working on something that will not be on my app.
(06-07-2020, 09:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 12:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 01:00 AM)Guest Wrote: Current resident here, no, put that on your app. Neurosurgery is a nascent field that always needs better tools and techniques. We need minds like yours.

Understandable. Obviously there's no way for me to prove to the attendings that I'm not going to bounce when I'm technically off the clock. Thanks for the advice. I'll circle around with some of my other mentors and see what they say as well. It is a shame though that if I were to avoid putting it on my application, there goes just a tremendous amount of time that I spent working on something that will not be on my app.

I think you put it on your application. It shows you're a well-rounded applicant. The important part is framing your personal statement and interview so that this is a strength and not a weakness to the neurosurgeon you will be.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)