Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symposium Impressions
Any other impressions after day 1?
Do you have to be a CNS member or something? What exactly was it called, I can’t find it anywhere
(06-06-2020, 08:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you have to be a CNS member or something? What exactly was it called, I can’t find it anywhere

Not me...and I got the email

https://sites.google.com/view/nsgy/schedule
(06-06-2020, 08:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you have to be a CNS member or something? What exactly was it called, I can’t find it anywhere

You missed it. It's over. Just follow the CNS on twitter or something.
wtf how did I not hear about this either? what should I do to ensure I don't miss stuff like this again?
(06-06-2020, 07:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Any other impressions after day 1?

I enjoyed just about every session I attended. I think they did a good job dispelling common myths about their programs, which this forum tends to highlight the malignant aspects. Some standouts:

BWH: Pros: Peds rotation at BCH, including 2 months as an intern; specific examples of graded autonomy and attending interactions who are some of the best/well-known teachers in the field; PD spent a few minutes talking and had a positive philosophy when it comes to training residents. Cons: Uncertain if there is sufficient case volume in New England; teaching conferences *every day* (so when do they operate?). Honestly, you are coming to a place like this seeking fellowship training when you leave, and will probably end up wherever you want with the network that they have.

Duke: Pros: Top referral network for complex tumor (Friedman) and spine (Shaffrey); formal graded autonomy via the surgical autonomy program (unclear how well this works in practice); the camaraderie between residents was pretty damn clear to me (I thought the juniors were hilarious). Cons: Living in Durham (though plenty like it enough to spend 4+4+7 years training in the same place); instability in leadership (chair stepping down, Shaffrey just got there).
(06-06-2020, 03:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey everyone, please post impressions of the program info sessions that you attend during the symposium this weekend! Would be a great way to coordinate since we all got so few.

I just got out of MGH - obviously research is unparalleled, chances for an academic career are fantastic. Residents/faculty have clearly heard about concerns regarding operative volume/autonomy, and it seems to be an area they are focused on. Cons: mostly only rotating at MGH so will miss out on community/public safety net hospital, little time spent at Children's, q5 in-house call as a senior. Clear preference for tumor work, which can be a pro if it's your interest.

By far the most important thing to do as a medical student applying into neurosurgery is to talk to as many people as you trust about their personal experiences at various programs. This is critical in any year, but especially this upcoming cycle where real exposure may be limited. *Every* program is going to try and put their best foot forward and dismiss any weaknesses at an interview or session: "oh we're not malignant anymore, that was just driven by a few residents several years back, but we're all good now" "oh don't worry we actually do operate here" etc. Programs want to attract the best applicants and will always try and say whatever they can to get them to come.

Make sure you talk to your friends who are home students at these places, older friends who are residents and/or rotated there, and mentors with the inside scoop. Without this, you'll have no idea how a program really is on the inside.
I was surprised by WashU. They seemed like they had a great culture between residents, very good operative autonomy, in the setting of strong research programs.
(06-07-2020, 11:28 AM)Guest Wrote: I was surprised by WashU. They seemed like they had a great culture between residents, very good operative autonomy, in the setting of strong research programs.

Thanks WashU resident
(06-07-2020, 03:53 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 03:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey everyone, please post impressions of the program info sessions that you attend during the symposium this weekend! Would be a great way to coordinate since we all got so few.

I just got out of MGH - obviously research is unparalleled, chances for an academic career are fantastic. Residents/faculty have clearly heard about concerns regarding operative volume/autonomy, and it seems to be an area they are focused on. Cons: mostly only rotating at MGH so will miss out on community/public safety net hospital, little time spent at Children's, q5 in-house call as a senior. Clear preference for tumor work, which can be a pro if it's your interest.

By far the most important thing to do as a medical student applying into neurosurgery is to talk to as many people as you trust about their personal experiences at various programs. This is critical in any year, but especially this upcoming cycle where real exposure may be limited. *Every* program is going to try and put their best foot forward and dismiss any weaknesses at an interview or session: "oh we're not malignant anymore, that was just driven by a few residents several years back, but we're all good now" "oh don't worry we actually do operate here" etc. Programs want to attract the best applicants and will always try and say whatever they can to get them to come.

Make sure you talk to your friends who are home students at these places, older friends who are residents and/or rotated there, and mentors with the inside scoop. Without this, you'll have no idea how a program really is on the inside.

Second this but with a caveat. Things can rapidly and profoundly change; how a program looked 2-3 years ago might not reflect the current reality at all. Current students I would argue are a much better resource, especially after rotating on service. Culture and even program structure can significantly change with the new chiefs. Change in leadership/chairman may also lead to important changes in the residency program. Programs add rotations every year, attendings come and go, autonomy can change significantly with addition of new faculty (for better or worse). Yes, programs will definitely paint a rosy picture, but you should take everything with a grain of salt. 

I think that a program's history is also relevant to some extent. Where are the graduating residents from the past 5-10 years? Are they all in private practice or mostly at academic places? Are they good teachers/surgeons or are they scrambling in the OR? This is very relevant, it provides a much more objective insight into how well you will be trained at a particular program than random opinions on forums. 

My two cents.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)