Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
functional job market
What is the current outlook for a newly graduated resident who is fellowship-trained in functional neurosurgery? Do all of the jobs exist at large academic medical centers? What percent of your cases are actually DBS vs spine etc.? How big of a pay cut are you taking? I've heard the word on the street is functional pays super low right now.
I've heard of plenty of private practice folks who do functional, but none exclusively.
Exclusive functional practices probably only exist in academics, and salaries tend to be lower than other subspecialties because your surgeries don't bill well. Obviously this can change with honoraria, promotions, research dollars, etc.
(06-08-2020, 05:02 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard of plenty of private practice folks who do functional, but none exclusively.
Exclusive functional practices probably only exist in academics, and salaries tend to be lower than other subspecialties because your surgeries don't bill well. Obviously this can change with honoraria, promotions, research dollars, etc.

Do you have to do fellowship training just to make it a part of your private practice?
(06-08-2020, 05:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 05:02 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard of plenty of private practice folks who do functional, but none exclusively.

Do you have to do fellowship training just to make it a part of your private practice?

You don've HAVE to have fellowship training to do anything. It's a question of whether a group/hospital will hire you and give you privileges to do it (and for academics, how you will construct a research program, get grants, and fit in with your colleagues' practices). Of course, fellowship trained surgeons would argue that they do things better right out of the gate. But it doesn't have to be the case.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)