Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second thoughts
Did any of you have a good deal of second thoughts about going into neurosurgery as medical students? I find it to be the most interesting and inspiring field in medicine but the really bad outcomes some patients experience has given me some pause about whether I will be able to emotionally handle this as a career. Did any of you have similar feelings at some points in your training?
any open spots? looking to join July 15, 2020 Latest thanks
Fujimi аккумулятор для фотоаппарата в томске
(06-10-2020, 11:39 PM)Guest Wrote: Did any of you have a good deal of second thoughts about going into neurosurgery as medical students? I find it to be the most interesting and inspiring field in medicine but the really bad outcomes some patients experience has given me some pause about whether I will be able to emotionally handle this as a career. Did any of you have similar feelings at some points in your training?

I was overly influenced from afar by the “prestige” of being a neurosurgeon. Now that I’m knee deep in the profession I have regrets. And I’m at one of those top programs that gets a lot of talk on here. I expect it will get better after residency, and I will tailor my private practice to reduce call burden and to experience a more normal life
(06-11-2020, 07:39 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 11:39 PM)Guest Wrote: Did any of you have a good deal of second thoughts about going into neurosurgery as medical students? I find it to be the most interesting and inspiring field in medicine but the really bad outcomes some patients experience has given me some pause about whether I will be able to emotionally handle this as a career. Did any of you have similar feelings at some points in your training?

I was overly influenced from afar by the “prestige” of being a neurosurgeon. Now that I’m knee deep in the profession I have regrets. And I’m at one of those top programs that gets a lot of talk on here. I expect it will get better after residency, and I will tailor my private practice to reduce call burden and to experience a more normal life

Would you mind expanding a little more on this?
(06-11-2020, 07:39 AM)Guest Wrote:

Same here except I'm not at a top program lol.
bumping this
As a med student, was hoping the above posters could go into a bit more detail about what they regret? Would appreciate the insight!
Not one of the previous posters but know a few people who’ve quit neurosurgery. What seemed to come to a head for them was the constant stress - neurosurgery is extremely high acuity and you often leave the hospital wondering if you did anything wrong from the operative case to the order sets. Tack onto that that the worst part of the job (IMO) is call and it’s for traumas , the majority of which are self inflicted or otherwise maybe not the best members of society. The trauma surgeons get to deal with these folks in shifts and don’t get worked up in the middle of the night constantly for them while trying to run an elective practice.

Other things that may come to play are just the cases. It’s hard to be a generalist anymore in many surgical specialties and it’s honestly boring to a lot of people to know their lives will be reduced to an ACDF, single level disc, single level lami, or 1-2 level posterior lumbar fusion.

Obviously this is just a small sample, but maybe this will help you kind of get a sense of
how realty may not be what some people expected.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)