Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenberg's or Fundamentals for Sub-I?
Which of these two books would you all recommend for a sub-I? Is fundamentals more trimmed down for the things you'll actually be expected to know, or is it worth investing in the big boi to see what the residents are actually learning?
(06-13-2020, 12:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Which of these two books would you all recommend for a sub-I? Is fundamentals more trimmed down for the things you'll actually be expected to know, or is it worth investing in the big boi to see what the residents are actually learning?

Fundamentals is basically a very watered down version of Citow (anatomy, imaging, and neurosurgery sections) + random stuff like ERAS information/applying which, while interesting, isn't helpful to learning neurosurgery. Greenberg is the best book. Obviously you won't be memorizing it word for word but I would go through the anatomy section and then look up treatments for the problems you encounter on rotation.
Thanks for your insight!
(06-13-2020, 12:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Which of these two books would you all recommend for a sub-I? Is fundamentals more trimmed down for the things you'll actually be expected to know, or is it worth investing in the big boi to see what the residents are actually learning?

Don't understand why anybody buys fundamentals. Greenberg has better info and the added info for applying can be easily found online or by talking to residents/attdgs. You'll need greenberg when you're a resident anyway
I recommend Fundamentals and spot using Greenberg. I used fundamentals for my subis and was head and shoulders above my co-subis in knowledge because they were bogged down with Greenberg. Greenberg/neurosurgical atlas can be helpful for cases you know you’re going to see/have recently seen to help you learn and answer pimp questions
This is great information. Please do add reviews and comments to new site when you have a chance: http://www.uncleharvey.com/resident-attending/
I tend to agree with this statement. The irony is that depending on where you end up, most attendings will tell you Greenberg's isn't detailed ENOUGH. So yeah you don't need to read rhoton as a sub-I, but Greenberg's is kind of already the spark notes of neurosurgery as it is. I used Greenberg's and didn't find it to be over to top from a detail standpoint. Hope that's helpful.
What about Youmans?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)