Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it take to be let go from residency?
Incoming PGY-1 that always thought being let go from residency was something rare and would require consistent major mistakes to occur. From the most recent posts it seems as though being forced to resign may be more common that I thought. Maybe I'm wrong and its just a few people making repeated posts on the forum but I would like to know what does it take to actually be let go from residency.
(06-15-2020, 01:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Incoming PGY-1 that always thought being let go from residency was something rare and would require consistent major mistakes to occur. From the most recent posts it seems as though being forced to resign may be more common that I thought. Maybe I'm wrong and its just a few people making repeated posts on the forum but I would like to know what does it take to actually be let go from residency.

Dishonesty/Negligence mainly, rarely is it due to lack of ability
It's almost never a competence problem. I've seen one case when someone truly could not operate or manage patients, and it was a safety issue. Most commonly, it is:
-substances
-family reasons
-realize nsgy wasn't the right fit
-dishonesty
-poor interpersonal skills
-excessive disciplinary action
(06-15-2020, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote: It's almost never a competence problem. I've seen one case when someone truly could not operate or manage patients, and it was a safety issue. Most commonly, it is:
-substances
-family reasons
-dishonesty

What do you mean by excessive disciplinary action?
avoid DUIs

avoid DUI in combination with sexually assaulting a co-resident...
Anything #metoo
It's definitely one or few people making repeated posts. They're understandably desperate and trying to grasp at straws. The reality is that its difficult to get let go of in residency, minor patient care issues or an isolated spat with the nurses or a colleague may get you put on departmental probation but won't get you fired.

I tend to agree with the other poster before - it's usually habitual (over more than a year) inability to get how to take care of neurosurgery patients or habitual (several instances) substance/professional issues.
The same person is likely making multiple posts. Look, it's a shame what happened. But take a long look in the mirror and think about what your contribution was. Given the liabilities incurred when terminating a resident, it was not done without a solid reason. Otherwise you would be getting legal representation and filing a grievance. That's not an airtight argument, but it's all the effort an outside PD is going to put in to it while looking at you.

At the end of the day, its a hard thing to ask for a second chance when many great people never get a shot. Having someone washout is a huge drain on a program and most places would rather find a way to fill the hole than take a risk.
(06-15-2020, 03:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote: It's almost never a competence problem. I've seen one case when someone truly could not operate or manage patients, and it was a safety issue. Most commonly, it is:
-substances
-family reasons
-dishonesty

What do you mean by excessive disciplinary action?

During residency you may get on the wrong side of an ED attending, a MICU nurse, whoever. Your program may have to sit you down and talk to you, and if you accrue enough of these you may be put on a probationary type status. Some residents have legitimate anger issues and this may result in several events that eventually get the nursing management or HR involved. Sometimes its a PC culture that makes plain talk 'mean' so that if you simply point out where someone err'd, you're the aggressor. Whatever it is, you just want to apologize and fly below the radar.
(06-15-2020, 01:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 01:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Incoming PGY-1 that always thought being let go from residency was something rare and would require consistent major mistakes to occur. From the most recent posts it seems as though being forced to resign may be more common that I thought. Maybe I'm wrong and its just a few people making repeated posts on the forum but I would like to know what does it take to actually be let go from residency.

Dishonesty/Negligence mainly, rarely is it due to lack of ability

Disagree, firings absolutely happen due to lack of inability. Usually manifests itself as multiple mismanagements on an overnight shift, simple but costly mistakes in the OR, inability to learn from mistakes or making the same mistake multiple times. Combine this with an inability to demonstrate sufficient knowledge for your level or a less than satisfactory board score, or combined with just being unlikeable or an asshole.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)