Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How competitive is 255+ from a low tier school?
Hey everyone,

Just wondering how competitive someone with a 255-260 step score coming from a low tier MD school would potentially be? Rising m3 so no rotations yet, but in the research department I currently have 1 first basic science paper, 3 2nd, and 3 middle author. Only 2 poster presentations, and no other experiences besides extremely minor volunteer work. 

Thanks all. Guess I'm just wondering how a slightly above average step score combines with coming from a lower tier, but recognizable name, MD school.
You're fine, that score meets the threshold at every program I can think of around the country.

Do you have a home department? If not, you need to probably do extra aways (provided they will be around when you apply).

Doing well with research, just keep going. You will be in good shape to match. May not get the prestige-heavy places (MGH, UCSF, Columbia come to mind) but as long as you're not an asshole and you work hard, you'll be fine.
(06-28-2020, 10:15 AM)Guest Wrote: You're fine, that score meets the threshold at every program I can think of around the country.

Do you have a home department? If not, you need to probably do extra aways (provided they will be around when you apply).

Doing well with research, just keep going. You will be in good shape to match. May not get the prestige-heavy places (MGH, UCSF, Columbia come to mind) but as long as you're not an asshole and you work hard, you'll be fine.
This advice carries more weight than many med students realize regardless of their pedigree or board scores. 
“as long as you're not an asshole and you work hard, you'll be fine.”
I appreciate the advice. We have an "affiliated" home program that's a few hours away from our actual school. Not exactly a home program, but better than nothing.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)