Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case volume vs research - defining high tier programs
It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this publish and if I could I desire to suggest you few attention-grabbing issues or advice. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I want to learn even more issues about it!
(08-23-2020, 10:30 AM)Guest Wrote: It’d be nice if the ACGME published this data

Looks like the ACGME does publish average case volumes broken down by graduation year and level of participation (senior resident, lead resident, or assistant resident). Average appears to be 691 major cranial procedures as senior or lead surgeon (median 658), 475 adult spinal (median 437), 95 peds cases (median 78), 24 for epilepsy (median 17), and 274 "critical care procedures" e.g. EVD placement, angio, CVP placement, etc (median 214). Numbers vary widely (min/max) but overall looks like average resident is graduating with 1285 major cases + 274 minor cases as senior/lead resident. The numbers reported for "assistant resident" are extremely small though (average 23 adult crani cases, 13 adult spine, 2 peds, 0.6 epilepsy), suggesting that there may be a propensity for residents to claim senior/lead resident-level of participation. Level of involvement of the senior/lead surgeon may also vary by program; I'd suspect those in regions with more litigious climates may have lower resident involvement. Tough to know, but the above appear to be what the numbers are for the 2018-2019 report that went out 9/11/2019.   

Link to reports: https://www.acgme.org/Data-Collection-Sy...Statistics
(11-15-2020, 11:18 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 10:30 AM)Guest Wrote: It’d be nice if the ACGME published this data

Looks like the ACGME does publish average case volumes broken down by graduation year and level of participation (senior resident, lead resident, or assistant resident). Average appears to be 691 major cranial procedures as senior or lead surgeon (median 658), 475 adult spinal (median 437), 95 peds cases (median 78), 24 for epilepsy (median 17), and 274 "critical care procedures" e.g. EVD placement, angio, CVP placement, etc (median 214). Numbers vary widely (min/max) but overall looks like average resident is graduating with 1285 major cases + 274 minor cases as senior/lead resident. The numbers reported for "assistant resident" are extremely small though (average 23 adult crani cases, 13 adult spine, 2 peds, 0.6 epilepsy), suggesting that there may be a propensity for residents to claim senior/lead resident-level of participation. Level of involvement of the senior/lead surgeon may also vary by program; I'd suspect those in regions with more litigious climates may have lower resident involvement. Tough to know, but the above appear to be what the numbers are for the 2018-2019 report that went out 9/11/2019.   

What I meant was if they published the program specific data
(11-15-2020, 01:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 11:18 AM)Guest Wrote:

What I meant was if they published the program specific data

That can never happen. There is a lot of politics involved, as it will make some places like MGH look bad, where residents graduate with less cases than national average, interrupted by 2 years in lab. As you may know, neurosurgery is all about reputation.
Is MGH really that bad?
(01-11-2021, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote: Is MGH really that bad?

The MGH-trained attendings at my hospital (n=1) are phenomenal surgeons so I take all this stuff with a grain of salt
(01-11-2021, 06:55 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 05:59 PM)Guest Wrote: Is MGH really that bad?

The MGH-trained attendings at my hospital (n=1) are phenomenal surgeons so I take all this stuff with a grain of salt

people just love to shit on MGH because they're jealous

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)