• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call system in small programs
(08-28-2020, 05:29 AM)Guest Wrote: We are 1/year. Our call:

PGY2: 10/month
PGY3: 8/month
PGY4: 6/month
PGY5: 4/month
PGY6: 2/month

I posted the above. Regarding post-call, we are usually in the hospital until about 12-2pm post call
(08-29-2020, 10:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 08:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Any other programs out there that don't get the post call day off?

Isn't this the majority of programs?

From my interviews seemed like most programs told applicants that they had post call day off, at least after wrapping notes etc from overnight. Not sure how true that is, hence the question.
What’s a better system, 24 hr calls or a night float system?
(08-30-2020, 10:20 AM)Guest Wrote: What’s a better system, 24 hr calls or a night float system?

Night float
(08-30-2020, 05:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:20 AM)Guest Wrote: What’s a better system, 24 hr calls or a night float system?

Night float

Disagree. Spending months of your life on a night flight is torture. You don't see your family or friends, its like being in prison. Plus, you are not operating on night float unless something comes in overnight thats an emergency. So you are in social isolation in your personal life AND you are not operating as much as a 24h call system. And you will be doing 24h system as an attending... so... I don't understand why people like night float. The argument is that its a better quality of life if you aren't the one on nights, which I suppose is true, but I think its too great a cost to justify it.
(08-30-2020, 11:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

Night float

Disagree. Spending months of your life on a night flight is torture. You don't see your family or friends, its like being in prison. Plus, you are not operating on night float unless something comes in overnight thats an emergency. So you are in social isolation in your personal life AND you are not operating as much as a 24h call system. And you will be doing 24h system as an attending... so... I don't understand why people like night float. The argument is that its a better quality of life if you aren't the one on nights, which I suppose is true, but I think its too great a cost to justify it.

All valid points. I look at it as with night float you get it all over with in a short period during junior residency, and then it's done. Most night float systems only involve PGY 1-3s or 4s, or in extreme cases like USF only PGY-2s. And when you're on you're on and it sucks, but when you're off you don't have to worry about it at all for weeks at a time, which I find nice. Normal call systems just spread the suffering out usually end up taking some form of junior call as a senior. I'd rather just get it over with.

Night float

24 hour call seems better for patient care with fewer handoffs but that’s just anecdotal. Our 24 hour call is usually keeps you at the hospital for about 30 hours. We arrive around 4AM to preround, take pager at 6AM for call, then finish up around 10AM the next day. An average 24 hour period is 9 to 12 consults. What’s the night float experience?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)