Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow
(08-28-2020, 06:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:26 PM)GuestP Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 02:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 11:38 AM)drstrange Wrote: Hilarious - couldn't even be bothered to find different background music or factoids. Think the same med student/sub-i made both videos?

These videos are helpful though, does anyone have a list of links to the various department videos?

Can you imagine being so far up the caverns of your own a** that you think that any program attempting to promote what it sees as its highlights is “ripping off” whoever coincidentally posted their own version first? In this case, UCSF I guess?

Medical students and programs have a unique challenge this year in identifying one another as good fits. Programs are having to rapidly adapt and create online and virtual content to help promote their program’s highlights. In a completely unprecedented, purely virtual match process. But look out guys, UCSF did it first—-no one else is allowed to promote the highlights of their neurosurgery program with a video. Our own program is working on something similar, we will make sure and credit SF for being “brave pioneers” (eye roll).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not "coincidental" though. It's literally the same exact format, same exact method of listing facts about their program, even the same exact music. There's a difference between creating promotional videos in general (which you're claiming is all Barrow has done, and which many other programs have already done), and making a video that closely approximates the details of a video made by another program.

It's not a big deal either way. People here are just ribbing them for making a very similar video is all. Why are you so fired up about that?
I know both videos are similar. But I also know another similarity among both programs: neither will take y'all!
(09-01-2020, 06:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 06:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 02:28 PM)Guest Wrote: These videos are helpful though, does anyone have a list of links to the various department videos?

Can you imagine being so far up the caverns of your own a** that you think that any program attempting to promote what it sees as its highlights is “ripping off” whoever coincidentally posted their own version first? In this case, UCSF I guess?

Medical students and programs have a unique challenge this year in identifying one another as good fits. Programs are having to rapidly adapt and create online and virtual content to help promote their program’s highlights. In a completely unprecedented, purely virtual match process. But look out guys, UCSF did it first—-no one else is allowed to promote the highlights of their neurosurgery program with a video. Our own program is working on something similar, we will make sure and credit SF for being “brave pioneers” (eye roll).

It's not "coincidental" though. It's literally the same exact format, same exact method of listing facts about their program, even the same exact music. There's a difference between creating promotional videos in general (which you're claiming is all Barrow has done, and which many other programs have already done), and making a video that closely approximates the details of a video made by another program.

It's not a big deal either way. People here are just ribbing them for making a very similar video is all. Why are you so fired up about that?

Is it the same exact format because they ripped off UCSF, or because these are the stats that people care about when looking at a program? Was Barrow supposed to throw in some useless and inconsequential stats just to be safe? Maybe relax a little.

Not sure why you're telling me to relax when the other guy was clearly so angry lol

Dawg y’all used the same exact song like cmon now
(09-01-2020, 07:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 02:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 11:38 AM)drstrange Wrote: Hilarious - couldn't even be bothered to find different background music or factoids. Think the same med student/sub-i made both videos?

These videos are helpful though, does anyone have a list of links to the various department videos?

I know both videos are similar. But I also know another similarity among both programs: neither will take y'all!

They have a better shot than You
Thoughts on the BNI?
No home students and no sub-is has got to mean the best chance for a rando like me to win the lottery and match there right?
(01-29-2021, 11:01 AM)Guest Wrote: Thoughts on the BNI?
No home students and no sub-is has got to mean the best chance for a rando like me to win the lottery and match there right?

Ehh, no home students, but also consistently one of the most sought after programs. Maybe a better chance of matching there vs another top-10 program that has an associated med school (e.g. UCSF, Pitt), but I think if you're a good applicant trying to match away, you'll still have a better chance at a lower tier program just because a lot of people will probably end up ranking BNI #1 and so they'll get there pick.
(01-29-2021, 12:00 PM)Guest Wrote:

Ehh, no home students, but also consistently one of the most sought after programs. Maybe a better chance of matching there vs another top-10 program that has an associated med school (e.g. UCSF, Pitt), but I think if you're a good applicant trying to match away, you'll still have a better chance at a lower tier program just because a lot of people will probably end up ranking BNI #1 and so they'll get there pick.

Agreed, BNI is a gamble because they routinely have a dozen people ranking them number 1
(01-29-2021, 01:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 12:00 PM)Guest Wrote:

Agreed, BNI is a gamble because they routinely have a dozen people ranking them number 1

There's no penalty for ranking your true order of preference.  In fact, that's what you're supposed to do.  The match process is applicant initiated - it will try to match you at your top choice.  If they rank you highly, then you'll match.  If you don't match at your top spot, then that spot is eliminated, which effectively makes your #2 choice your de facto "top choice."  As such, the algorithm will try to match you at your #2 spot.  If they ranked you higher than they've ranked other applicants ranking that program, then you'll match there.  So on and so forth.  It depends on how highly programs rank you.  This video is helpful.

https://www.nrmp.org/matching-algorithm/
Sure, but you can only play the “you’re my #1” card once, which is one of the few ways applicants can affect their ranking.
(01-29-2021, 03:33 PM)Guest Wrote: Sure, but you can only play the “you’re my #1” card once, which is one of the few ways applicants can affect their ranking.

How much does this card even affect it?
(01-29-2021, 03:49 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 03:33 PM)Guest Wrote: Sure, but you can only play the “you’re my #1” card once, which is one of the few ways applicants can affect their ranking.

How much does this card even affect it?

Many top programs do not like to go down their rank list at all, and so will match the top number of applicants for slots they have. If you were in consideration for a rank to match position, by not declaring the program as #1, you may count yourself out for a position. I don’t know why this is so important to Chairs and PDs, but it is a reality nonetheless.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)