Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow
(05-18-2021, 10:11 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 01:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 01:01 AM)Guest Wrote: 1/4 did a sub-i there last year

sub-i's weren't allowed last year.. right?

Correct. Last year is a bad example. They were very open at the interview about how the lack of sub-i's made this a challenging year for them. Since they (a) don't really have an affiliated med school and (b) care a lot more about fit, doing a sub-I at BNI makes a huge difference.

That being said, they're still limited this year so if you didn't get the sub-i and you drink the BNI or bust koolaid, don't lose hope

sub-i's aren't really limited this year. maybe one less month than usual, but that might not even be true since you can start in mid-June, and I think they have sub-i's going all the way through october or something.

in previous years, was a sub-i practically mandatory at the Barrow?
rumor has it they have like 8 students for july, aug, sept, oct
so thats a total of 32!
What kind of step 1s do people getting Sub-i have here?

I'm sure the higher (> 250) improves chances, but are 240s realistically considered for Sub-is here if they have strong app otherwise?
does anyone who how barrow will chose sub-interns now that step 1 is pass/fail? thank u all
Probably the same way every other program will.
LOR, word-of-mouth, school reputation, research, AOA, athleticism
(05-18-2021, 11:51 PM)Guest Wrote: rumor has it they have like 8 students for july, aug, sept, oct
so thats a total of 32!

There is only like 300 something people who even apply nsgy a year and we are limited to one away so that would mean 10% of all applicants are doing their subI there. Seems like a lot.
(05-30-2021, 10:46 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 11:51 PM)Guest Wrote: rumor has it they have like 8 students for july, aug, sept, oct
so thats a total of 32!

There is only like 300 something people who even apply nsgy a year and we are limited to one away so that would mean 10% of all applicants are doing their subI there. Seems like a lot.

It is a lot. But since we're limited to one away, and there are only 300 people applying, and probably an average of ~20+ available spots at the top programs from June through Sept/Oct, I bet the vast majority of applicants will be doing their only sub-i at the top 15-20 programs (whatever 'top' means), and there will probably be 80-90 programs that don't fill all their available sub-i positions. 

On the other hand, it probably means you have a relatively good chance of getting into a program you do a sub-i at if it's not one of the handful that are saturated with applicants. Imagine doing a sub-i at a mediocre program and being literally the only person in the country to rotate through there this cycle. Couldn't possibly be in a better position as long as you do a great job on the sub-i. Crazy dynamics.
(05-30-2021, 03:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
so thats a total of 32!

It is a lot. But since we're limited to one away, and there are only 300 people applying, and probably an average of ~20+ available spots at the top programs from June through Sept/Oct, I bet the vast majority of applicants will be doing their only sub-i at the top 15-20 programs (whatever 'top' means), and there will probably be 80-90 programs that don't fill all their available sub-i positions. 

On the other hand, it probably means you have a relatively good chance of getting into a program you do a sub-i at if it's not one of the handful that are saturated with applicants. Imagine doing a sub-i at a mediocre program and being literally the only person in the country to rotate through there this cycle. Couldn't possibly be in a better position as long as you do a great job on the sub-i. Crazy dynamics.

well shit I’m tempted to drop my subI spot lol. Do they normally
Have 8 subIs per month?? Why increase it so much from prior years? Also
How are people doing their only away in September or October like how will you get a letter of rec which you need since it’s your only away?? This cycle is going to be a shit show
(05-30-2021, 05:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
so thats a total of 32!

How are people doing their only away in September or October like how will you get a letter of rec which you need since it’s your only away?? This cycle is going to be a shit show
I guess people would rather just go all-out and get the best possible chance at getting into that program even if it means they lose out on a letter of rec for their entire application.

It's insane actually. Could easily tank your app to not have a letter of rec from an away rotation. No one should do a sub-i that ends after September. Non-strategic prestige-chasers is my guess lol
(05-30-2021, 06:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 05:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
so thats a total of 32!

I guess people would rather just go all-out and get the best possible chance at getting into that program even if it means they lose out on a letter of rec for their entire application.

It's insane actually. Could easily tank your app to not have a letter of rec from an away rotation. No one should do a sub-i that ends after September. Non-strategic prestige-chasers is my guess lol

Also insane considering the barrow isn’t for everyone. You’re putting a lot of eggs in a basket that you won’t know if you want until after. Amazing program, but I didn’t rank it in my top 10. There’s so much hype, I think ppl forget to look for what’s personally best for them

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)