Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow
(11-23-2021, 09:05 AM)Guest Wrote: This is probably true at most programs, but swing by Barrow - good luck finding an attending in any of the ORs, they're all watching from their offices

believable for bread and butter cases but there are either a lot of left handed senior residents at BNI or Lawton's doing most of the critical parts of cerebrovascular cases based on the Youtube series.
From what I could tell for complex open vascular then a chief scrubbed in with lawton only opens/closes, lawton does literally everything, and the fellow awkwardly stands in the corner
(11-23-2021, 08:55 PM)Guest Wrote: From what I could tell for complex open vascular then a chief scrubbed in with lawton only opens/closes, lawton does literally everything, and the fellow awkwardly stands in the corner

This is, in fact, exactly what happens. As noted above - once they get to the critical portion of the case, everything is switched to Lawston's left-handed setup and he takes over.
(11-23-2021, 08:55 PM)Guest Wrote: From what I could tell for complex open vascular then a chief scrubbed in with lawton only opens/closes, lawton does literally everything, and the fellow awkwardly stands in the corner

(11-23-2021, 09:20 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is, in fact, exactly what happens. As noted above - once they get to the critical portion of the case, everything is switched to Lawston's left-handed setup and he takes over.
there's really a limit to how much you can learn by watching. regardless of case volume.
It may be that he's more handsy for cases that he's videoing. My recollection is that Nakaji was the guy chiefs got to do more of the critical case parts of aneurysms with. He and Nick Theodore were the real teaching stars IMO.
“here is my chief resident doing a non critical part of the case”
There may be exceptions, but if you do a skull base or open vascular fellowship expect to spend a majority of the time watching the critical portion of a case. The cases are too complex and the stakes are too high to expect a trainee to routinely be performing the most important parts. I think the obligation of a skull base mentor, for example, is to ensure fellows know how to get where they need to go, e.g., know how to do an OZ or remove a clinoid, but I think it’s hard to talk to patients with these problems and then hand the case off to someone else. Hopefully by the time you get to fellowship you have mastered general neurosurgery and have the technical ability to do the cases, and thus even watching can be useful, though I recognize there are diminishing returns. My two cents as a current fellow.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)