Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those with childrern duing residency - how did you fare?
I'm curious to know how those with children and spouses that also work full time fared during residency. Has anyone noticed common patterns among neurosurgeon-parents that are sometimes ignored? I am curious how those who managed to foster a close relationship with their children pulled it off.

I wouldn't be surprised if resident-parents missed their children's first steps, first words, first day at school etcetc. Maybe I'm wrong?
(08-29-2020, 12:19 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm curious to know how those with children and spouses that also work full time fared during residency. Has anyone noticed common patterns among neurosurgeon-parents that are sometimes ignored? I am curious how those who managed to foster a close relationship with their children pulled it off.

I wouldn't be surprised if resident-parents missed their children's first steps, first words, first day at school etcetc. Maybe I'm wrong?

Those that thrived were independently wealthy and hired au pairs and nannies. Those that struggled tried to manage themselves. This may not be true if you are in a low COL location.
Had my first during senior residency and left my family behind for fellowship so I basically didn't see the family at all. I missed pretty much every major milestone, but made it a point to shower my kid with attention whenever I was home. Wife took most of the burden and I owe her a ton. We also had a nanny (paying on the lower end of the salary scale) and with 2 salaries it was tough but doable. We are not independently wealthy, but you can make it work.
There is nothing unique about neurosurgical residency that makes it harder to raise children. Working professionals have been doing it since the beginning of time with grandparents, nannies, nanny shares, daycares, etc. You are going to miss major life events. If that is important to you, either drop out now and pursue dermatology, or do what everyone else in the field with kids does and find a way to make it work.
Do residents with young children ever pool together resources/coordinate in some fashion to make it easier on everyone?

(08-29-2020, 09:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Do residents with young children ever pool together resources/coordinate in some fashion to make it easier on everyone?

and by "easier on everyone", im referring to the entire cohort of residents. I would like to think that residents grow close to one another as a unit, it would be great it if the "it takes a village" attitude was the norm
(08-29-2020, 09:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Do residents with young children ever pool together resources/coordinate in some fashion to make it easier on everyone?

and by "easier on everyone", im referring to the entire cohort of residents. I would like to think that residents grow close to one another as a unit, it would be great it if the "it takes a village" attitude was the norm

easier on everyone...lol.
(08-29-2020, 12:19 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm curious to know how those with children and spouses that also work full time fared during residency. Has anyone noticed common patterns among neurosurgeon-parents that are sometimes ignored? I am curious how those who managed to foster a close relationship with their children pulled it off.

3 kids during residency and I went solo to fellowship. High COL area but wife had a solid job and we had a nanny. Just make the time you’re home count. If you’re one to complain about burn out, don’t have kids. If you’re someone that sucks it up and gets what you need done, you’ll be fine.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)