Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden gem programs
(03-07-2021, 02:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Gonna add UMD for trauma here with Shock Trauma hospital. Also Peds at Hopkins is a nice perk

Miami - Spine (mostly degen) + endovascular --> lots of fellows though
Duke - spine (~4 fellows)
Pitt - spine, skull base (fellows for skull base), but good overall
UCSF - functional, brain tumors, spine, but good overall
(03-07-2021, 03:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 02:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Gonna add UMD for trauma here with Shock Trauma hospital. Also Peds at Hopkins is a nice perk

Lol this thread is called hidden gems and this is what we get
(03-04-2021, 06:20 PM)Guest Wrote: If you're interested in spine and spine alone, GT is a spot. Seems like all their faculty do spine

They have good cranial volume as well, especially with a recent hire (I think a morcos fellow?) who's likely hungry to operate
(03-07-2021, 03:18 PM)Guest Wrote:

This forum talks about the same 15-20 programs, because these programs live rent free in applicants’ minds. After match day people remember there are other places to train.
(03-07-2021, 04:28 PM)Guest Wrote:

This forum talks about the same 15-20 programs, because these programs live rent free in applicants’ minds. After match day people remember there are other places to train.

Match day is when the reality hit.

Look out for this up and coming guy Aghi from the west coast... SF a diamond in the rough but on the rise
george washington is seems a gem too. nice location
I was blown away by University of Rochester. Attendings were really personable in the interview and the residents seemed to get along well. Their volume is also impressive.
(03-08-2021, 01:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I was blown away by University of Rochester. Attendings were really personable in the interview and the residents seemed to get along well. Their volume is also impressive.

I hope that this turns out to be one of the positives of a virtual interview season - applicants who may not have taken the time to go to "smaller" programs getting to see them. When I applied I made sure to rotate at 2 "top tier" institutions and this was the best thing that I could have done from a mental sanity standpoint. It really struck me how much parity there is across the spectrum and in reality I'd say the majority of programs offer excellent experiences and are using similar technology and techniques - basically the gap between 'tiers' is either non-existent or really only relevant for those who crave research and an academic career. Again, this is completely personal opinion, but hey that's what anonymous internet forums are for!
Stony Brook, albeit new, looks like a rising impressive hidden gem program. Faculty seem dedicated to the academic experience, research opportunities exist if you want them, and the town looks beautiful (albeit with high COL). Interested to see where this program goes in the next several years.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)