Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Program Trajectories
(10-01-2020, 05:39 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 07:36 AM)Guest Wrote: Pitt going up

No way. Did a sub-I there. Was malignant AF.

I've heard this too, but residents there seem to love it. I think it's probably the case that Pitt is a malignant program for some types of people, but a good fit for others
Any input on the usual suspects such as Hopkins, MGH, Columbia, UW?
(10-01-2020, 07:33 PM)Guest Wrote:

I've heard this too, but residents there seem to love it. I think it's probably the case that Pitt is a malignant program for some types of people, but a good fit for others

It's a wannabe program. Their residents and graduates try to sell their program especially in forums as a big program but all big guys in the field they know that it's no more than a clinical program is some fields (gamma knife/spine/used to be in skull base). Doesn't mean if you have the volume, or one of their graduates is impressive, then it's a big program. You need a batch of solid graduates for over a decade or two to build that...like U Washington and UVA until the early 2000.
(10-02-2020, 01:52 AM)Guest Wrote:

It's a wannabe program. Their residents and graduates try to sell their program especially in forums as a big program but all big guys in the field they know that it's no more than a clinical program is some fields (gamma knife/spine/used to be in skull base). Doesn't mean if you have the volume, or one of their graduates is impressive, then it's a big program. You need a batch of solid graduates for over a decade or two to build that...like U Washington and UVA until the early 2000.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you don't think Pitt is still big in skull base then you don't have your finger on the pulse of the program. There's a reason the NASBS is jokingly referred to as the Pittsburgh skull base society. Paul Gardner continues to maintain the same caliber of skull base program as Kassam and Sekhar did.

I'm a resident at Pitt. Would love to hear what people felt was malignant about the program. We genuinely try to make sure sub-is have a good experience and if they as outsiders are seeing things from a negative perspective it would help us continue to make the program better to what generated those perceptions. FWIW I don't think we are malignant, but its a hard program no doubt. You can do a lot of things here, but don't expect to log 2500+ cases, published 100 papers, and also sleep 8 hours a night. As some general advice to applicants, every one of you should look closely at the publications coming out by residents, the locations of recent graduates, and (if you can get them) the case logs/operative schedules for each and every program you interview at. My opinion of Hopkins because I found them very malignant when I did a sub-i there. However, that was a long time ago and the reality is that my opinion is dated and not on the pulse of the current program.

(10-03-2020, 02:48 PM)Ressy Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:52 AM)Guest Wrote:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you don't think Pitt is still big in skull base then you don't have your finger on the pulse of the program. There's a reason the NASBS is jokingly referred to as the Pittsburgh skull base society. Paul Gardner continues to maintain the same caliber of skull base program as Kassam and Sekhar did.

I'm a resident at Pitt. Would love to hear what people felt was malignant about the program. We genuinely try to make sure sub-is have a good experience and if they as outsiders are seeing things from a negative perspective it would help us continue to make the program better to what generated those perceptions. FWIW I don't think we are malignant, but its a hard program no doubt. You can do a lot of things here, but don't expect to log 2500+ cases, published 100 papers, and also sleep 8 hours a night. As some general advice to applicants, every one of you should look closely at the publications coming out by residents, the locations of recent graduates, and (if you can get them) the case logs/operative schedules for each and every program you interview at. My opinion of Hopkins because I found them very malignant when I did a sub-i there. However, that was a long time ago and the reality is that my opinion is dated and not on the pulse of the current program.

Sorry, lot of typos let me edit a few.

I'm a resident at Pitt. Would love to hear what people felt was malignant about the program. We genuinely try to make sure sub-is have a good experience and if they as outsiders are seeing things from a negative perspective it would help us continue to make the program better to know what generated those perceptions. FWIW I don't think we are malignant, but its a hard program no doubt. You can do a lot of things here, but don't expect to log 2500+ cases, publish 100 papers, and also sleep 8 hours a night. As some general advice to applicants, every one of you should look closely at the publications coming out by residents, the locations of recent graduates, and (if you can get them) the case logs/operative schedules for each and every program that you interview at. My opinion of Hopkins is negative because I found them very malignant when I did a sub-i there. However, that was a long time ago and the reality is that my opinion is dated and not on the pulse of the current program.
Colorado going up

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)