Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn
Can anyone share their impressions of Penn and where it stands among other top academically oriented programs?
Asked and answered many times. New chair in Yoshor, who knows what he'll do.
Jeff is busier but less "academic". Jeff has wider variety of pathologies.
Penn has the name and academic infrastructure, but wouldn't put among "top academically oriented programs".
(09-30-2020, 08:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Asked and answered many times. New chair in Yoshor, who knows what he'll do.
Penn has the name and academic infrastructure, but wouldn't put among "top academically oriented programs".

Thank you Jeff resident.
(09-30-2020, 10:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 08:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Asked and answered many times. New chair in Yoshor, who knows what he'll do.

Thank you Jeff resident.

Can we stop with these annoying comments? They're repetitive, not funny, and cut down on any meaningful discourse. I've heard from numerous people that Jeff has a much better operative experience than Penn.
(10-01-2020, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thank you Jeff resident.

Can we stop with these annoying comments? They're repetitive, not funny, and cut down on any meaningful discourse. I've heard from numerous people that Jeff has a much better operative experience than Penn.
Here, here

I can second that. 

I feel like this forum is a temple to top 20 NIH funded programs, and meaningful conversation outside of this metric is drowned out. The majority of neurosurgeons don’t graduate from those programs and do fine work.

Jefferson is an excellent example of a non-brand name program building itself up with quality people and quality work, and carving out their place in a busy city. 

-Resident not at Jefferson
Is Jeff (still) malignant?
(10-01-2020, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thank you Jeff resident.

Here, here

I can second that. 

I feel like this forum is a temple to top 20 NIH funded programs, and meaningful conversation outside of this metric is drowned out. The majority of neurosurgeons don’t graduate from those programs and do fine work.

Jefferson is an excellent example of a non-brand name program building itself up with quality people and quality work, and carving out their place in a busy city. 

-Resident not at Jefferson

I don't even think this does Jeff justice. Look at their grads. Its not just some mid-tier program scraping a niche in a big city. Its a place with a very strong national reputation, especially for spine and vascular. What Penn lacks in operating, Jeff lacks in research and "prestige". I think that's a fair comparison of two very different but great programs

Thank you Jeff resident.

Agree. Can always count on some "thanks *** resident" or "idk, but YOU'LL never accomplish [topic]" type comments on this site lol
Penn has very strong placement for grads in academic neurosurgery similar to other T20 research programs. Recent grads have gone on to be on faculty at Stanford, UTSW, UCLA, Hopkins, CHOP, etc... Grady is a hard chair to replace but Yoshor has done a great job with Baylor so it should translate well to Penn.

What makes Penn stand out besides the research/prestige is that Shuster is a highly invested PD and would make your residency experience a very positive one.
How many chairs or PDs are from Penn?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)