Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 2 let-down
(10-14-2020, 11:46 AM)Guest Wrote: Hi all, 

looking for advice regarding a bad showing on step 2...

I'm an applying MS4 from a mid-upper tier med school with 242 step 1 (yes, i know, borderline) with 4 honors in 6 possible rotations (COVID affected the ability for more), Gold Humanism Honors Society election, and good research (15 pubs (11 first/second author), couple oral presentation at national mtgs, posters to boot). My school has no AOA, though I am top quartile (how my school "ranks" us) among my peers. Feedback on sub-I was really positive and I think I have good letters coming down the pike. 

However, Step 2 has been a nightmare for me. Ultimately, I didn't do well (237) -- not trying to make excuses here, though I worry the circumstances affected my ability to be at my peak. I was supposed to take in may (covid pushed this date after 4 weeks of studying and then cancelled altogether), which I moved to Late september after my rotations. 1 week before exam, my roommate gets COVID so I had to push my date again to quarantine.  Knowing this is low, I'm concerned programs will negatively look upon me for the borderline Step 1 further being weakened by a lower step 2. I don't think this reflects my clinical abilities. 

My question --  is this worth hitting head-on in something like a personal statement? or should I just wait until it gets brought up at an interview (I expect it would) and discuss the surrounding factors/own a bad test day?

Yes, I know this is a post dripping with anxiety and self doubt and I have total confidence in my ability to become a great resident and surgeon, I just want to know everyone's thoughts on how much this may/may not hurt me in the upcoming cycle and how to best combat this. 

tl;dr: pretty good applicant

(10-14-2020, 11:46 AM)Guest Wrote: Hi all, 

looking for advice regarding a bad showing on step 2...

I'm an applying MS4 from a mid-upper tier med school with 242 step 1 (yes, i know, borderline) with 4 honors in 6 possible rotations (COVID affected the ability for more), Gold Humanism Honors Society election, and good research (15 pubs (11 first/second author), couple oral presentation at national mtgs, posters to boot). My school has no AOA, though I am top quartile (how my school "ranks" us) among my peers. Feedback on sub-I was really positive and I think I have good letters coming down the pike. 

However, Step 2 has been a nightmare for me. Ultimately, I didn't do well (237) -- not trying to make excuses here, though I worry the circumstances affected my ability to be at my peak. I was supposed to take in may (covid pushed this date after 4 weeks of studying and then cancelled altogether), which I moved to Late september after my rotations. 1 week before exam, my roommate gets COVID so I had to push my date again to quarantine.  Knowing this is low, I'm concerned programs will negatively look upon me for the borderline Step 1 further being weakened by a lower step 2. I don't think this reflects my clinical abilities. 

My question --  is this worth hitting head-on in something like a personal statement? or should I just wait until it gets brought up at an interview (I expect it would) and discuss the surrounding factors/own a bad test day?

Yes, I know this is a post dripping with anxiety and self doubt and I have total confidence in my ability to become a great resident and surgeon, I just want to know everyone's thoughts on how much this may/may not hurt me in the upcoming cycle and how to best combat this. 

tl;dr: pretty good applicant

OP here -- never finished the tl;dr -- pretty good applicant with bad step 2 looking for advice

don't listen to these clowns, I matched this morning and my step 2 results aren't even back yet. I scored in the mid 40's for step 1. Lean on your mentors and just interview like a normal person.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)