Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the longest neurosurgery case that you've been a part of?
Is it true?

a good surgeon cannot be slow and a slow surgeon cannot be good
Fourteen hour giant acoustic neuroma. I would ask that particular attending operate on any of my family members. The operation was performed at even pace, with appropriate respect for critical anatomical structures and calmness throughout.

Being a good surgeon is about far more than the speed of the surgery. Good surgeons can be fast or slow. Bad surgeons can be fast or slow. Some surgeons are slow because they are not confident and panic easily. Others are slow because they are careful and methodical. Some surgeons are fast because they are haphazard and have little respect for patient or anatomy. Others are fast because they are confident with their knowledge and skill.

For my practice, what matters most is that that I tailor my approach to the specifics of an operation. I try to do the bits which can be done quickly and safely quickly, and try to do the bits which require care and delicacy with care and delicacy.
The only cases that regularly went 12+ hours where I rotated were the acoustics. Tumor is with good reason tedious to do but also tedious to watch. I wanted to blow my fuckin brains out staying post-call to watch someone watch someone else pick at a tumor through a scope with the room lights off. Those big spine deformity cases tho, time just flies in those rooms
(11-23-2020, 02:28 PM)Guest Wrote: The only cases that regularly went 12+ hours where I rotated were the acoustics. Tumor is with good reason tedious to do but also tedious to watch. I wanted to blow my fuckin brains out staying post-call to watch someone watch someone else pick at a tumor through a scope with the room lights off. Those big spine deformity cases tho, time just flies in those rooms

Sounds like somebody needs to consider ortho residency. In all seriousness, I don't understand why someone would do 7+ yrs of neurosurgery training and take neurosurgery call while expressing disdain for brain surgery. Spine surgery is great but there are other paths to it.

Length of case is mostly irrelevant when you're sitting in the chair. These threads only matter when you're the med student watching. And as a resident, if you know the case and need to master the anatomy, you should be watching with the intent to learn. It's not going to make 10+ hour tumor cases completely engaging, but that's the job.
During long cases, are there ever breaks given to use the washroom, have something to eat etc?  What about the IONM staff, do they get a break as well.  Or all other staff present in the room for that matter.  

I've just heard some horror stories online with what IONM staff need to put up with . . . monitoring long cases and never even being allowed to use the washroom.  And what about shorter cases that take 2-4 hours?
(12-31-2020, 06:52 AM)Lyle Wrote: During long cases, are there ever breaks given to use the washroom, have something to eat etc?  What about the IONM staff, do they get a break as well.  Or all other staff present in the room for that matter.  

I've just heard some horror stories online with what IONM staff need to put up with . . . monitoring long cases and never even being allowed to use the washroom.  And what about shorter cases that take 2-4 hours?

Very weird post. Are you IONM staff? Your interest in what they endure seems oddly specific.

Our IONM staff take breaks all the time - either call in backup or tell the surgeon they are leaving momentarily. Even surgeons take bathroom and (brief) snack breaks or switch off. Who in the right mind would think that enduring a full bladder for 24 hours would be best for the patient? Not sure where this myth comes from.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)