Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you structure chief year towards a subspecialty?
If you have an interest in a single subspecialty, what is the maximum proportion of cases that you can do in that area? Like, can you do 90%+ endovascular cases and have the lower residents pick up the rest? Or will that get you labelled as an asshole (and somehow negatively affect you later down the line)?

What are the boundaries for your freedom as Chief resident? (in terms of delegate case load/type for yourself?)

For example, program website description of chief year are a bit confusing:

"The chief resident is given preference for selection of operative cases. The chief resident’s clinical experience involves performing most of the complex surgeries on the neurosurgical service, including: ..."

Does this mean that for whatever area you prefer you do the most intensive cases/have the most responsibility, or does this mean that you select some proportion of your cases but the rest of your workload is reserved for highly intensive cases?
Very much a cultural thing. I was allowed to spend most of my chief year focusing on my subspecialty due to some unique circumstances and a lack of interest from other resident but typically the expectation was to operate mostly on your service's cases.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)